Need LOTS of help/ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks
Alright I have all the glass together it looks cool!!!! But now for the door! I bought .080 in thick piece of acrylic for the door but how do I mount it?!?!? Any Ideas??? I have clear hinges but I honestly don't feel comfortable drilling into the glass :(.... I have only spent 25$ so still cheaper than the exo terra haha

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-02-04_18-04-43_878.jpg
    Resampled_2012-02-04_18-04-43_878.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think if you drill into the glass, it has to be with a diamond bit and you have to keep it, the bit wet and you let the bit do the work. What if you use the plastic strip hinge that is used on aquarium glass tops. You maybe able to order just the plastic hinge. I am not sure what it is really called. It is a piece of plastic that is grooved on both sides and the glass just sits in it tightly. Or just make the lid lay on top. Don't forget UVB/A does not go thru glass. Good luck.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
This is for a Crested Gecko and they don't need UVB!!! I don't quite understand what you mean? I have a plastic hinge already I just don't know how to secure that to the Vivarium and the Acrylic door! But that requires drilling into the glass!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, so the tank is going to stand up on one end as it is in the pic? If so then scratch my idea above, it won't bend that way I don't think. So what if you silicone or epoxy the hinges on?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not sure. Epoxy gets hard and silicone doesn't. I would think the epoxy/hard would be what you would want. If you bought it at a home depot or some place like that you could ask them which one would work best for what you are using it for.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yeah, I think you could just silicone it, the GE Silicone II Caulk, most hardware stores have it. I have seen it recommended on this forum quite a bit. Same idea as Aquarium caulk, but a lot more reasonable.
I use a regular drill for acrylic, but a brand new one. I also spray a bit of water on the area, and proceed slowly so the drill does not overheat the acrylic. (if you decided to drill)

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I would suggest that you consult a local glass shop in your area and see
what they say. And curious what suggestions they would have for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.