getting stuff off of aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Okay don't laugh because i don't remember the name of the clear gummy stuff used to seal aquariums. Anyways, we have one that was used as a turtle aquarium, so it has an extra peice of glass stuck in place, which we want to take out. but how do we get that gummy stuff off? any ideas that are EASY?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It's called silcon and a razor blade scraper works well.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I have found.. since talking with him often recently.. that Itort has his own language, method of spelling and pronunciation..
36_12_1.gif
..... so I think I know what he means here -

He's referring to silicone.. used as the adhesive for aquariums, etc.

Good luck Kelly...

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Redfoot NERD said:
I have found.. since talking with him often recently.. that Itort has his own language, method of spelling and pronunciation..
36_12_1.gif

Good luck Kelly...

This make me LOL.....However, there is a product called GOO GONE which is made by Magic American Corporation, and its website is www.magicamerican.com. I'm sure you can find this at any hardware stores, or in departmentores in car or household sections. Good luck and I hope this will help.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The warnings in questions site of googone make me uneasy. I'd stick with razorscraper, which always worked for me.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree with Itort here. I also recently cleaned 3 aquariums and looked into several cleaning products to take silicone off. I decided to stick with the razor type scraper and good old vinegar and water rinse. I just wouldn’t chance it. Because my aquariums were old they had that ring around them so I called around to try and find something to clean it up with. I was told not to use cleaners as Glass was porous and it could actually etch the glass more and some of the chemicals be retained longer. So I opted for some fine steel wool and got what I could off and what I couldn’t I left.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
ZippyButter said:
Redfoot NERD said:
36_12_1.gif

Good luck Kelly...

This make me LOL.....However, there is a product called GOO GONE which is made by Magic American Corporation, and its website is www.magicamerican.com. I'm sure you can find this at any hardware stores, or in departmentores in car or household sections. Good luck and I hope this will help.

Sorry to mention this product to all of you , I just used this to get the silicone that was applied around the shower doors' frame, ( of course, you still have to use a good razor to carefully scrape some of it out). I've never used this on my aquarium.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
ZippyButter, it is fine you mentioned Goo Gone. When I cleaned my first aquarium I would have used it and not thought about any warnings in fact I think I tried DeSolveIt. I never thought about the toxic effect a cleaner may have. When I got Torts my life changed as did my outlook on a lot of things. I now look at chemicals in a whole new way. I look at the cleaners I use in my house and I even look at what I eat in a whole new way, and how I care for all my animals. We just need to qualify some of our posts to include what you used a product (especially one not designed for say, aquariums, or torts etc.) for. Don't get me wrong I have used Goo Gone several times for taking bumper stickers off of things and like you, cleaning a shower door and even re sliiconeing (sp?) a window. It is a great product for these things. Just Be careful and read the warnings on what you use around animals, any animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.