Need identification help

cosmically

Hi!
I found this tortoise in my backyard the other day and would love to know what species it is. Also any guesses on the age, gender or tips on taking care of it would be greatly appreciated.

image.png image.png image.png image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Chances are pretty good that this is someone's escaped pet. Put up fliers on the utility poles in your neighborhood and go door-to-door asking if anyone has lost a tortoise.

I'm not good at I.D.ing the greeks and hermanns tortoises, but it's one or the other. We can send a shout-out to @HermanniChris He's very good at it and can tell you for sure what you have.

cosmically

Thank you so much!
I've already tried that, no luck so far. We're giving it to a shelter if we can't find them soon, I was just curious

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is a pretty little thing. I hope you can find the owner soon or you can learn how to take care of this pretty little one. Good lucky and best wishes.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
A beautiful old Greek!
It could have escaped a long time ago and wandered quite far, did you contact the police or shelters (or whoever is responsible for lost pets in your country)?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Knowing the growth rate wouldn't help anyway, it's at least 20 years old, I guess over 30, but it's really hard to estimate.

For sexing we need a picture of the plastron.