need help identifying a tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
DSC_0756.JPGI rescued a stray tortoise at my school's playground today and would like help identifying the species. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I think it's a desert tortoise,but I'm not sure. Maybe one of the folks out west will ID it for you.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree looks like a desert tortoise hatchling, my experience ends there....

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree ... desert tortoise hatchling. They are starting to hatch now. Where are you located?

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
This one was found in Victorville, California (known as the high desert). I live in Wrightwood, CA. (6000 feet)

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks like a Sulcata to me. I have 2 of them and it looks just like they did when they were hatchlings.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a weird place/city to find a wild ....perhaps someones yard backs up to the school ? Anyway....CDT hatchling :D..I live here in the high desert, Apple Valley, like 15 miles from Victorville....and about 40 from Wrightwood.....

If you are going to keep the baby you wont have to permit him for at least a couple years...

By the way, ADORABLE....CUTE....YUMMY LITTLE BABY....so sweet :p

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
looks like my baby Bowser could be a sulcata but im not a super expert just going by looks :) His shell does look a little dry though may need a good warm soak and a light spray on the shell.If he has been out and about by himself he may be a bit dehydrated.

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
Very interesting place to find him. Especially since I happened to look down and he was between my feet. So luck the little guy was not stepped on. Now I need to learn as much as possible about how to take care of him. My family and everyone at school is already in love with him/her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh yeah....I enlarged as much as possible....his eyes make me feel that he would appreciate a good clear warm water soak.... :D

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
sulcatababies1402 said:
looks like my baby Bowser could be a sulcata but im not a super expert just going by looks :)
I have been going back and forth between sulcata and CDT. Apparently a baby was found on the school grounds 3-4 years ago and it was not a CDT. However, I have no way of finding out what kind that one was.

ascott said:
Oh yeah....I enlarged as much as possible....his eyes make me feel that he would appreciate a good clear warm water soak.... :D
Will do that right away. Thanks/

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Aww, what a strange place to be found! I'm glad you rescued it from being trodden on in the future by little kids. D: I hope there are no more hatchlings out there. Take good care of it for now :)

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
i would say go to a vet who deal with torts and see if he can place him.If they pop up every couple yrs in your area im sure you wont be the first to find and ask this question.Best bet treat it like a desert tort and raise it like such..Sulcata habitats are some what the same i think especially as hatchlings they all need hydration and humidity. :) best of luck with your little one! If its a sulcata you will notice really soon in size ;)

ascott said:

we were thinking the same thing :) glad you mentioned it a second time i dont think he caught mine :)

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Actually I'm going to change my vote :) I originally thought a Sulcata but then looked up pics of a CDT. It looks like the CDT has darker limbs than the Sulcata. I say CDT now but I'm no expert haha.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He will be happy in a quiet/warm 80ish place to sleep...he may even be a touch hungry :D

I sense you have folks along with you that are up for hosting him....just remember, please, hatchlings are very sensitive..so if the kiddies (and grown folks too) handle him too much he can get highly stressed....I am happy you noticed him....kinda like he was set there...right under your nose .... ask away here for any help...lots of us here :D

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks everyone. I will keep it hydrated and humid. What would be the best substrate to use? I did search the area to see if there were any other little ones around. Did not see any, but will continue to keep an eye out.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
tiff3grl said:
Actually I'm going to change my vote :) I originally thought a Sulcata but then looked up pics of a CDT. It looks like the CDT has darker limbs than the Sulcata. I say CDT now but I'm no expert haha.

Yeah i change mine too bahahah CDt are darker limbed then sullys from what my google magic tells me ;) not a defining word but looks like a CDT to me.Bowsers legs are lighter then your hatchlings.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can get good old clean dry dirt from your property....you will want to put a little fitting place for him to hide/under.... :D

SpeedyGontortoise

5 Year Member
So Cal
ascott said:
He will be happy in a quiet/warm 80ish place to sleep...he may even be a touch hungry :D

I sense you have folks along with you that are up for hosting him....just remember, please, hatchlings are very sensitive..so if the kiddies (and grown folks too) handle him too much he can get highly stressed....I am happy you noticed him....kinda like he was set there...right under your nose .... ask away here for any help...lots of us here :D
Actually, I am a teacher at the school and my family and I are definitely up to keeping him. We have been talking about getting another tortoise, we have a golden greek, and now we do. :) The little guy has eaten a little throughout the day.

sulcatababies1402 said:
tiff3grl said:

Yeah i change mine too bahahah CDt are darker limbed then sullys from what my google magic tells me ;) not a defining word but looks like a CDT to me.Bowsers legs are lighter then your hatchlings.

Ok. It seems the CDT may be the winner. I will continue to research and do the best I can.

ascott said:
You can get good old clean dry dirt from your property....you will want to put a little fitting place for him to hide/under.... :D
Thanks. I will find the dirt and already have a little hide for him (or her as my daughter insists on).

Status
Not open for further replies.