My Tort Refuses To Move - Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Once again, I took Oli out for a walk today, just before sunset.

Goodness, what a difference there is between Oli at home and Oli outdoors.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
just a thought, we sometimes stuff a ball with pellets then hydrate them so they expand and dont fall out... it keeps fido amused for a while, maby worth a try? View attachment 144900
Once again, I took Oli out for a walk today, just before sunset.

Goodness, what a difference there is between Oli at home and Oli outdoors.
What type of floor is he on in your flat. Is it a carpet or a smooth floor?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What type of floor is he on in your flat. Is it a carpet or a smooth floor?
There are carpets in my flat, but they never seemed to bother Oli. These carpets take up about 90% of the space on the floor. Oli's room does NOT have a carpet, as his enclosure is in it. And that's the room he does NOT entre when he wants to get to a corner!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
There are carpets in my flat, but they never seemed to bother Oli. These carpets take up about 90% of the space on the floor. Oli's room does NOT have a carpet, as his enclosure is in it. And that's the room he does NOT entre when he wants to get to a corner!

Have you had any luck drawing a sketch of your flat/Oli's room?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Frankly speaking NO. Am too frustrated, and can only concentrate with typing.
Can you get something as simple as a cardboard box, cut a hole in it and let him explore. I have a tort room in my house at the moment. Silly things like pushing plants around in pots, trying to squeeze around the back of them, if I put a cardboard box in my room they all try and squeeze in. Quite funny actually. Can you hang food at head height so he has to stretch for it, balls to push, objects to climb over. Anything to stimulate his mind. Bushy plants in pots, put 3 or 4 close together so he has to move them to get through them. In my garden I had to put all my strawberry plants in pots to save them. My torts love to head to these pots and bully them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can you get something as simple as a cardboard box, cut a hole in it and let him explore. I have a tort room in my house at the moment. Silly things like pushing plants around in pots, trying to squeeze around the back of them, if I put a cardboard box in my room they all try and squeeze in. Quite funny actually. Can you hang food at head height so he has to stretch for it, balls to push, objects to climb over. Anything to stimulate his mind. Bushy plants in pots, put 3 or 4 close together so he has to move them to get through them. In my garden I had to put all my strawberry plants in pots to save them. My torts love to head to these pots and bully them.
I have tried plants: natural and fake, no reaction from Oli. I also put food as you say at head height, but here I DO know what stopped Oli from eating it:
I guess I am the one to blame here: I got him into the habit of being hand-fed. But I have no problem so long as he is happy.

I have tried a big flat rock for him to climb on. EVEN that he is not interested in. I'll try the cardboard, hoping for some change to take place.

Thank you SO MUCH for you tips!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have tried plants: natural and fake, no reaction from Oli. I also put food as you say at head height, but here I DO know what stopped Oli from eating it:
I guess I am the one to blame here: I got him into the habit of being hand-fed. But I have no problem so long as he is happy.

I have tried a big flat rock for him to climb on. EVEN that he is not interested in. I'll try the cardboard, hoping for some change to take place.

Thank you SO MUCH for you tips!
They like tight spaces. I have a big terrocota pots upside down with a hole cut out. My larger torts shouldnt be able to get in, but they do, they push it to the wall and squeeze in. Once in turn around. Now getting out is s whole different thing. They walk dragging the pot until it jams the pot then gets out. In the garden ive watched them for hours trying to push through thick Heather bushes. Such stubborn animals. But they love it. I think they need to use all that power they have.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
They like tight spaces. I have a big terrocota pots upside down with a hole cut out. My larger torts shouldnt be able to get in, but they do, they push it to the wall and squeeze in. Once in turn around. Now getting out is s whole different thing. They walk dragging the pot until it jams the pot then gets out. In the garden ive watched them for hours trying to push through thick Heather bushes. Such stubborn animals. But they love it. I think they need to use all that power they have.
Stubborn.....torts really are! I did not imagine they were that 'bad' when I got Oli, but he too proved to be stubborn. How could ANY animal, ANY, I repeat, sit in a corner HOURS ON END and not get bored or tired?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is a pet shop in Amman that sells all sorts of stuff for all animals including reptiles Gillian. It is called Birds Land and there is another called Cobra. Also there is a Pet Market that deals birds, rabbits etc. If you search you will be able to find out where they are and when open etc. may be worth having a browse around when you have a chance.
The reptile stores will prob have things you could try or adapt for Oli - Lola is using the top off a Cat loo as his hide. I use the base as his bath.
I should think they may have food pellets etc you could try.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
There is a pet shop in Amman that sells all sorts of stuff for all animals including reptiles Gillian. It is called Birds Land and there is another called Cobra. Also there is a Pet Market that deals birds, rabbits etc. If you search you will be able to find out where they are and when open etc. may be worth having a browse around when you have a chance.
The reptile stores will prob have things you could try or adapt for Oli - Lola is using the top off a Cat loo as his hide. I use the base as his bath.
Oh Lyn, I honestly do not know how to thank you for your help! Thank you.

I'll see if I can get their addresses via the net, as I don't have a car, and transportation here is.....UGH-sickening to say the least.

There's a so-called pet store very near to me. It's where I got Oli. But....goodness, all they have is: a couple of torts, two or three birds, fish, and no food for the poor pets, no enclosures for torts, no accessories, no, no, no! I could go on endlessly with the 'nos.'

I'll check on the ones you sent me immediately, and AGAIN....THANKS!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good afternoon Lyn. checked very many pet stores on-line, took down their phone numbers and called them one by one. Yo may/may not believe me: all numbers except one are 'NOT in service!' See what care animals DON'T get here? The one who answered said they only have enclosures as far as accessories for torts are concerned, but not FOOD. The least expensive enclosure costs Jordanian Dinars 180, which is about Euro 180, and I don't think I can afford that. As for food, I was advised by the gentleman to feed my tort lettuce, tomatoes and the rest of that stuff. They don't deal with food, he went on to say, because it would EXPIRE and get thrown away, which they in turn cannot afford.

Even the numbers of a couple of vets I called are also NOT IN SERVICE! See? I don't think you were expecting this, were you? I was. People's salaries here are not enough for a family, let alone another member: a pet, whatever it may be.

Now I am back to point ZERO. lol.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Have you tried this one? https://www.facebook.com/janetsadeen/info?tab=overview They're still open and they say they cater to birds and reptiles. I imagine you can get a cuttle bone, at least.

Buying an enclosure anywhere is likely to be a huge and unnecessary expense. The shelfless bookshelf on its back with liner is likely to be cheaper and larger than anything you could buy "for a reptile" - although I'm guessing you don't have the floorspace for it. Given your situation, I would focus more on adding enrichment.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Have you tried this one? https://www.facebook.com/janetsadeen/info?tab=overview They're still open and they say they cater to birds and reptiles. I imagine you can get a cuttle bone, at least.

Buying an enclosure anywhere is likely to be a huge and unnecessary expense. The shelfless bookshelf on its back with liner is likely to be cheaper and larger than anything you could buy "for a reptile" - although I'm guessing you don't have the floorspace for it. Given your situation, I would focus more on adding enrichment.
I'll see to the food which is obviously the most important thing.

I do see your point and appreciate it, as far as an expensive enclosure is concerned. But I am planning to change everything for Oli. You cannot imagine how worried and nervous I am these days. I stayed up till almost 4 am last night, and only slept 2 hours, thinking of Oli!

I went out for a walk today by myself, and walked by furniture shops. So I went into one of them and asked if they could make an enclosure made of wood, and what it would cost. Here I got a surprising answer: 'Jordanian Dinars 30 only' which is nothing. It would be slightly bigger than Oli's current one, making it more comfortable for him.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
This idea/plan of yours to replace his current enclosure with one that will ultimately be bigger and better for him just seems to be a great and productive plan. You could even have items built into the center area for him to climb and explore on his own. Hope this truly helps not just Oli but you as well.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Please, please help me! My tort's been in the same corner for more than three hours!

There must be something wrong. He eats fine, he poops and then crawls to the same corner unless:

- I move him
- We go out for a 'walk'
Gillian, this is just how he is.
I'm pretty certain there's nothing wrong with Tidgy's boyfriend.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Gillian, I'm sorry you are so stressed out over this, I would be the same way!! I don't know as much as the other members do about your situation. But however let's see what happens in the next few days. Maybe set up something like the members are saying and go from there. Keep us updated :) I'm sending positive thoughts to you and Oli :)
You are a lovely member of this forum.
If you want t know details about all our lives and play at being really silly, try Cold Dark Room under Personal Promotions, near the bottom of the threads list.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but you would be very welcome to an armadillo and a jellyfish or two.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Ed. Oh yes, Oli is getting enough sunshine: I put him out on the balcony and stand beside him, so as to remain on the safe side.
I agree with you: outdoors is a tort's natural environment. But at the same time I wonder: 'WHY has this NEVER happened before?' Your torts have been outside for long, I presume. So it would only be natural to see them annoyed if you were to move them indoors. Oli has been indoors for 4.5 years.

This morning I soaked him, feed him, thank GOD he's eating. But....he later moved to the same old corner!

Thanks a lot your help. Appreciate it.
It's just Oli.
They change.
This is him now.
he's fine, just how he is.