My Sulcata's shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Crews

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I am a noob to tortoises and I need some advise, I have read a lot of information in the forum about pyramiding. I have seen many pictures of very deformed shells and want to know if my tortoise is on that path of deformation. I have attached a picture and would love to hear your opinions on his shell health. The last thing I want to do is harm this little guy....he's my buddy.

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 64

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
It doesn't look bad. What are your temps and humidity inside the enclosure?

William Crews

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
It doesn't look bad. What are your temps and humidity inside the enclosure?

The temps in the enclosure are about 100 degrees on his basking rock that is at one end and its just over 80 at the cool side. As far as humidity I am not sure, I use zoo med bark as the substrate and I spray it daily, I have a potted plant in the enclosure that I water daily. Inside his hide is damp to the touch and I have a cover over the enclosure that keeps the humidity in. When I remove the cover I can feel the warm moist air. I will get a temp/humidity meter to confirm humidity, but if I had to put a conservative guess I would say over 80% humidity.
Also I soak him in warm water every morning for at least 15 minutes, sometimes as much as 30 minutes, when he poops I take him out.

Mao Senpai said:
He actually looks pretty good, and wow! Nice coloration!

Thanks, I think his coloration is very cool.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thats what my morla looked like when I got her 5 weeks ago and the forum tokd me that it was the start of pyramiding but to keep her moist so she stops growing like that.
very cute and great coloring

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That temp/humidity gauge will be worth it, sounds like your doing what is required and all your hard work will be noticable in the weeks and months ahead..

Status
Not open for further replies.