My Sulcata's Carapace

Wren

Location (City and/or State)
Palmerton,PA
Hi everyone, newbie here. I recently acquired an eight year old Sulcata from a private owner who got him as a hatchling. He doesn't seem to have much pyramiding on his carapace, but the central "row" has a weird line around it -- almost looks like it could raise up like the hood of a car. Previous owner said his small dog bit him when he was just a little guy. You can see the asymmetrical section, middle row, second from bottom, in the photo. Previous owner says it doesn't affect his health or movement in any way. I don't know if the two anomalies are related. Opinions please.

IMG_0643.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful shell!

The outline you're referring to is the more recent growth. It looks to be very dry. You can lubricate it with either extra virgin olive oil or cold pressed coconut oil. Dab on the oil with a Q-tip and allow it to soak in for a half hour or so, then polish it all off with an absorbent cloth.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like a nice tortoise and the old damage is well healed and will be no problem at all.

The new growth does look like it is coning in with a deeper groove. That looks like it is being kept drier now than it used to be. Perhaps you could check the sulcata section and go over how you are keeping your tortoise. What type heat you are providing, what type enclosure, etc. I suspect something you may be doing now is drying the carapace excessively.

Wren

Palmerton,PA
That's a beautiful shell!

The outline you're referring to is the more recent growth. It looks to be very dry. You can lubricate it with either extra virgin olive oil or cold pressed coconut oil. Dab on the oil with a Q-tip and allow it to soak in for a half hour or so, then polish it all off with an absorbent cloth.
Thank you, Yvonne, for the recommendation. I just adopted him two days ago from a man who had originally taken excellent care of him, but admitted that the level of care provided had been going continuously downhill for quite some time. Norman came to me covered in his own feces, extremely hungry and thirsty, and had not been soaked in who knows how long. Owner only fed him carrots and spring greens with no calcium powder; didn't know if he would eat hay because he'd never offered it to him. Owner also stated both heat and UV lamps had burned out "a few weeks ago." So I'm turning Norman's world upside down by letting him graze in untreated grass and clover outside in the sun for two hours a day, misting him with the "mist" hose setting, drying him off to bring him inside and giving him orchard grass/timothy hay mix (he loves it) with a bit of fresh zucchini. He had a 30 min warm soaking bath last night and let me gently scrub the filth off his legs and sweet face with a (new) soft toothbrush. His formerly filthy enclosure is now spotless, as is his food tray. Tonight I'll do as you suggest with the EVO and repeat every week or so. Sorry for the rant about former owner, the guy did the best he could I guess.

Wren

Palmerton,PA
Looks like a nice tortoise and the old damage is well healed and will be no problem at all.

The new growth does look like it is coning in with a deeper groove. That looks like it is being kept drier now than it used to be. Perhaps you could check the sulcata section and go over how you are keeping your tortoise. What type heat you are providing, what type enclosure, etc. I suspect something you may be doing now is drying the carapace excessively.
Thank you Mark, he's just joined my family two days ago and as stated to Yvonne, I'm making amends for the declining care he'd been receiving from his former owner. I appreciate your response.