My name is Faith! I've just gotten my first tortoise and have some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Hello,

I've been wanting a tortoise for a while and finally got a golden Greek tortoise about 6 months old! I have a Zoo Med tortoise table, he has Cyprus mulch and has two hide outs; as well as the dark part of his box. I've had him for a little over a week. First couple of days he walked around and ate a lot! But now he seems not as active and not eating as much. He also has him self buried in his mulch. I've been feeding him fresh romaine, kale, dandelion greens parsley and cilantro. I also read that they like hay so I put some timothy hay for him. I've tried soaking him yesterday since I haven't seen him touch the water but he was only in the container for 10 minutes before crawling out.

Any one have any suggestions of anything I could do better? He decrease in appetite and energy level has me slightly concerned. However this is my first tortoise and I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome. With the soaking 10 mins is not bad, we do normally try for 15-20 as long as you keep the water warm. What helps is to soak them in containers with high enough sides they can't crawl out when they want to, which is why it is often called a "forced" soak. What are your temps in the enclosure? High and low spots both day and night? How about the light? What kind and how long is it on for? New tortoises tend to hide more, as do babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Faith, and welcome to the Forum!

waitmanff

5 Year Member
The basking area is around 90 degrees and humidity is around 30. His hiding area is around 70 and is about 55 humidity. 150 watt bulb UvvUvv basking. Keep it on for about 12 hours and keep it off for about 12. Any ideas why he went from eating a lot to really none at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.