My babies!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Please do not be chased away....while there are many ways to care for and raise a tort....some may be a bit passionate in convincing that their way is the only way....

There are a balance of micro climates necessary for a healthy tort...please understand that no one here means any harm or offense to you and I understand you are new to tortoise care...so be patient with us while we learn the appropriate manner to share important information with you...:D

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
If you didn't like the dirt making the water messy, maybe try putting large, flat stones around the dish so that it reduces the dirt that gets trailed in

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Like Go Reptiles said, a nice easy fix for the dirty water problem is to use some rocks around the dishes -- big enough that the torts won't be tempted to eat them of course. I have both my feeding stones and my water dishes surrounded by stones. It doesn't stay perfectly clean but helps a lot.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Okay thank u a lot to the last 3 post.
Everyone remember people have their own way. I want my babies to live. And just because I ask for an opinion doesnt mean I have to always take it. I just need ideas. Thats the point of this forum. Thank u :)

please and thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Exactly, you want them to live and thrive I hope. That is what every one of us are trying to help you accomplish.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
...I'm finding it a little hard to understand why you would ask for advice/give details and then ignore everyone when they're giving out amazing & life saving advice? Confusing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ShellyTurtleTort said:
...I'm finding it a little hard to understand why you would ask for advice/give details and then ignore everyone when they're giving out amazing & life saving advice? Confusing.

I think Bee Bee spelled it out. She is getting conflicting info from multiple sources. Who is she supposed to believe and listen to? She wants to do it "right", and by asking she is trying to learn what is "right", but multiple people are telling her what is "right", and its all different.

In time with enough successes and failures of her own, she will have a better feel for what works and what doesn't. She will eventually learn all the reasons why different people are telling her different things.

The problem is that some of us have already been down the road that she is on and we know where it leads. Some people have to go see it for themselves, and with tortoises this can take a long time.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Whatever you decide I hope your torts are happy. I think maybe though you should try and listen to multiple people, and try different things. No one is perfect and what intrigued me about getting a tortoise is that it is constantly a growing process. I don't think staying stagnant is ever good. Most of these substrates are not expensive, and they wouldn't hurt to try, at least. :) Maybe make a smaller separate tort table (nothing expensive, a large plastic container for example) for them to try it out in temporarily, and see how you like it? Instead of covering your entire tort table with something you may be unfamiliar and/or uncomfortable with is my suggestion.

Whitney I definitely love that idea and will use it when my new substrate comes in for my new baby tort. :)

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: My babies!! Lol

Tom said:
ShellyTurtleTort said:

I think Bee Bee spelled it out. She is getting conflicting info from multiple sources. Who is she supposed to believe and listen to? She wants to do it "right", and by asking she is trying to learn what is "right", but multiple people are telling her what is "right", and its all different.

In time with enough successes and failures of her own, she will have a better feel for what works and what doesn't. She will eventually learn all the reasons why different people are telling her different things.

The problem is that some of us have already been down the road that she is on and we know where it leads. Some people have to go see it for themselves, and with tortoises this can take a long time.

So hard to sit idling by. Must be how grandparents feel when their first grandchild is born; to have to watch their own children and hold their tongue/actions because they already had their chance.

_________
~ Shelly ~

5 Year Member
Ok now if you work and do school and you put soil in and you come back to a dirt water bowl and little baby torts dirty and crap in there eye and all there eyes closed. Yes this was a horri ble idea from you people help us not send us messages
treating us like we are bad people cause we dont have no money to drive far and buy a 14 dollar bag and waste 20 on gas we will figure out a different substrate when we get a chance and get a lot of things for them and if you want to get mad and mock us for not having our parents buy our wants for them. now when I get rich like you people think I am ill make them a mansion to satisfy your needs and wants for them but as of now we will do little work here and there so next time you want to go off on people make sure you put into mind they dont have a silver spoon in there mouth lile you do and this is her boyfriend writing this who tales care of them night and day after or before work and school and giving the little guys a bath in carrot food so learn your facts before writing hate msgs to people who are doing everything in there power to care for them
please and thank you

We will get the uvb long bulb but guess what we need... money for it its not free we took how much it cost and our person we talk to recommend it from the start but we were on a budget so we got what they needed the most

please and thank you

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Sunshine is free. A bulb can be from the 99 cents only store. It's Halloween time and they have black lights right now. You just need warmth when inside, babies in desert burrows, in nature are warm and humid under the desert floor. If they are supervised for 20-30 minutes outside, even in the shade, and not even every day but every few days, they do get the UVB rays they need, so why go to the expense of the UVB long bulb when sunlight and sunshine is free.

Everyone who responded was trying to help and suggesting less expensive ways of doing things. Like above. So you do not need to feel like everyone wanted you to get expensive stuff for them to thrive. They do not need silver spoon caretaking. Expensive are the things that hurt them, especially if it causes them stress because stress messes up their immune system.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
New Desert Tortoise Mommy said:
Ok now if you work and do school and you put soil in and you come back to a dirt water bowl and little baby torts dirty and crap in there eye and all there eyes closed. Yes this was a horri ble idea from you people help us not send us messages
treating us like we are bad people cause we dont have no money to drive far and buy a 14 dollar bag and waste 20 on gas we will figure out a different substrate when we get a chance and get a lot of things for them and if you want to get mad and mock us for not having our parents buy our wants for them. now when I get rich like you people think I am ill make them a mansion to satisfy your needs and wants for them but as of now we will do little work here and there so next time you want to go off on people make sure you put into mind they dont have a silver spoon in there mouth lile you do and this is her boyfriend writing this who tales care of them night and day after or before work and school and giving the little guys a bath in carrot food so learn your facts before writing hate msgs to people who are doing everything in there power to care for them
please and thank you

We will get the uvb long bulb but guess what we need... money for it its not free we took how much it cost and our person we talk to recommend it from the start but we were on a budget so we got what they needed the most

please and thank you

Not a single person hear has treated you bad. They have been very kind and considerate and trying to think of all kinds of things to use that were cheap or even free. Not one has mocked you, nor given bad advice. The eyes are not closed because of dirty water. All the advice if taken will help you raise healthy torts. What will you do if or when your way makes them sick? Can you afford a vet bill? Maybe you took on too much at this time. Tortoises are not cheap to take care of.
Everyone here is here for the love of tortoises and to help others learn the right way to raise healthy tortoises. Vet bills for a tortoise is not cheap.
Respect have been given here in trying to help your torts. I expect it to be given back. They are giving up their time to try and help you.
Good luck. Hope all goes well for your torts.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Yeah I don't really see why they see people's responses as hostile. We're all learning here. Frankly, I'm sure most of us have our financial problems in our own way. But tortoises aren't cheap, and it's a big factor in making a decision in whether or not a tortoise is right for anyone who wants one. The responsibility of a pet owner is to make life as wonderful as possible for their pets, if not, then the benefits are completely one sided on behalf of the owner, and that's unfair. The tortoises didn't force their way into our homes. Thankfully, you could probably buy something online without needing to travel a long distance. I use Amazon Prime and it really has done wonders in terms of shipping costs for me-- and not just when it comes to slowly building my tortoise habitat. Anyone with an .edu e-mail can still get it for free. Or you can use the free trial instead.

If what you wanted was sympathy... unfortunately you're not getting any from me. Just be a good pet owner, look at all your options, and do what's best for your pets. No need to be hostile.

5 Year Member
Trust me my family has had tortoises for years and they live healthy without it being expensive the way u guys raise ur torts are expensive. Nd trust me we just havnt got paid. Nd my boyfriend is the one who wrote u guys that he feels we r doing the best we can. So relax everyone. Again like we said we take care of them and we take do take some of everyones advice and some we dont. Its just ideas. And honestly every time I see or hear about people taking torts to the vet they die. They are wild animals !! They have been living for yyeeaarrsss without medicine and they grow stronger. Trust me mine will be fine. Its only been 3 days and I have been over stressing. Thank nd bye everyone

please and thank you

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You don't have to leave the forum. If you just want to read what others are doing for certain problems, the answers will always be here. Many people just read the threads but never post anything. You can do the same if you want. I'm sad to see you go though. :-(

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't worry I didn't see anything hostile
I see some one that didn't research before they got the torts and I'm old enough to see a child's thinking
Because the most her friends could have had torts for 10 yrs but with all of
Us together have a lot more exsperince
Let her macher to see we only want to
Help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not really sure she's leaving the forum. I think she's just saying good bye. I hope.
Btw though, all animals taken into our care should be able to see a vet if they get sick. There are some good old timer home remedies that can be tried in some cases first. However, if they don't work, a vet should be called upon. Not all tortoises die at the vets. If you can't take proper care of an animal, which does include vet care if or when needed, then a person should not take in a pet.
We have all said everything that needs to be said. Best we can do now is hope they will do what is right by the tortoises and realize there is a difference between just surviving and happily thriving. Beating a dead horse, still gets you a dead horse.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Stick around and get in touch with those that have been there/done that to give your babies the best of the best.

_________
~ Shelly ~

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
It's true I could have worded it more politely but how he's responded to everyone here trying to give him advice on raising a healthy tortoise. I felt he didn't deserve any sympathy. This person obviously is not financially sound to take on the responsibility of a tortoise and should not be allowed to care for one. I've monitored this thread since it was posted to see if he would listen to reason and looks like reason was not working. So I went with a different approach. I apologize if I offended anyone other than the original poster of this thread.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Becauzr a person isn't"financially sound" doesn't mean he/she isn't entitled to own a pet. Please be objective here and not condemnatory.
WamBamCam said:
It's true I could have worded it more politely but how he's responded to everyone here trying to give him advice on raising a healthy tortoise. I felt he didn't deserve any sympathy. This person obviously is not financially sound to take on the responsibility of a tortoise and should not be allowed to care for one. I've monitored this thread since it was posted to see if he would listen to reason and looks like reason was not working. So I went with a different approach. I apologize if I offended anyone other than the original poster of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.