Mazuri LS

Kori5

So I ordered some for my adult Hermann and he likes it. I soaked it in warm water for a minute and it is soft. But...the problem is...when he tries to eat it, it's like stuck to his throat and he is trying hard to swallow it. I don't know if any of you had the same issue. This is his first pellet food in 20 years :). Please help.

Attachments

• 20151216_102351.jpg
    20151216_102351.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20151216_102441.jpg
    20151216_102441.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Kori5

Yes, it gets kinda sticky and I can "feel" the fiber in it. However, it does get soft in a minute and he does like it. And he is sooo picky so I'm happy. I tried to buy the original one but couldn't find a seller with a reasonable shipping price :).I'll try what you advised and maybe form a mushy big pellet from a few.

Kori5

Yes, it has less protein and more fiber. I was terrified because just after I ordered some, I found a thread here and some members blame the LS for deaths of their tortoises. I don't think its possible to know for sure without autopsy. I plan to feed him it 3 times a week. The other time he'll get his weeds :).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes, it has less protein and more fiber. I was terrified because just after I ordered some, I found a thread here and some members blame the LS for deaths of their tortoises. I don't think its possible to know for sure without autopsy. I plan to feed him it 3 times a week. The other time he'll get his weeds :).
I've never heard anyone blame any of the Mazuri foods for killing their tortoises.
Please don't spend much time worrying about it. Just use variety including the L.S. and all will be just fine.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
I just read on a Facebook group about russian tortoise enthusiasts that some of the Mazuri food can have "no no's" for Russian tortoises. Anyone heard anything about this? Mine has been using it for almost 2 years and loves it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just read on a Facebook group about russian tortoise enthusiasts that some of the Mazuri food can have "no no's" for Russian tortoises. Anyone heard anything about this? Mine has been using it for almost 2 years and loves it

Many people think that ANY non-natural prepared food is a bad thing. I used to think that way too. I know better now.

I feed original Mazuri to all my tortoise species of all ages now, and its good stuff. I would not feed LS to a non-grass eating species like a Russian or a hermanni. If you can get them to eat it, I think the LS is fine for larger sulcatas, SA leopards and large DTs. I wouldn't feed it to anything other than those three. Maybe a large Galap too.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Amazon.com sells the original. After moistened it doesn't get sticky. No more than expected. I would worry about yours choking on it if you've seen him having trouble swallowing it. More tortoises like the original(BY FAR) than the LS.

Attachments

• IMG_20150519_182153.jpg
    IMG_20150519_182153.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19

Kori5

Amazon.com sells the original. After moistened it doesn't get sticky. No more than expected. I would worry about yours choking on it if you've seen him having trouble swallowing it. More tortoises like the original(BY FAR) than the LS.
They don't ship to my country unfortunately :(. I searched whole ebay and amazon. When they do, the shipping is crazy for a package of 2 lbs. But I found a US seller so I hope to get the original version :). I won't feed the LS anymore.

Kori5

So Nutrazu arrived and my Hermann doesn't like it at all. He moves his head and makes an offensive face. Although he wasn't trilled with the LS version, and it was kinda sticky, he wanted some. I'm gonna keep offering Nutrazu and see if he gives in. Because he hates new food and eventually starts loving it :D.

Kori5

It does :). I'll post pictures tomorrow. I mean, the seller was a reputable one from UK. If I understood correctly, mazuri and nutrazu are both from purina and from their ingredients they are the same.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If he acts like he doesn't like it you might try mashing it finely with something he does like to get him accustomed. it's easy with my redfoot since he is a fruit eater, a little banana baby food will get him to eat anything.

Kori5

Thank you. I tried giving him a little on tomatoe which he gets only once a month half of cherry type and he ate it. But since I feed it so rarely I'll have to find something else. I do plan to leave on a plate two pieces everyday. Maybe he'll give in :D. I do find that he doesn't like mushy things.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What about grinding it into a powder and putting it over his greens like you would seasonings on your food? I have a shaker of ground up grape leaves for my RFs.

Kori5

Well that's a great idea :D. I'll try it. He loves raddichio so I'll put it on it. But he is so sneaky, it wouldn't surprise me if he sniffs it and turns his head. I mean, he was fed weeds only all his life (except two tomatoe addiction months) and during snow when I buy store things. But I would like to add some good pellets to his diet.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
After soaking a couple Nuggets really good and chopping up his greens you can mix it all together so is still mostly greens but with a little smear on each leaf. after you Serve it like that a couple of times I bet he will go after it without it being mixed. he probably doesn't recognise its food.

you said he likes tomato. how about add tomato juice to the water when you soak the nuggets? that way it'll smell more like his favorite treat. I wouldn't do that forever just a couple of times until he starts recognizing it as food

Kori5

Thanks everyone :D. I'll try it because I know he'll eat it eventually.