Odin's taste test: Mazuri vs. Mazuri LS

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
After finding whiteflies on my hibiscus this weekend I freaked out and ordered Mazuri just in case it turned into a full-blown infestation (good news on that front, the water/oil/soap treatment seems to have rendered those little pests all but gone, yay!) but the order had been placed and got here in record time! So today we moistened a pellet of each and placed them in front of the little guy.

And the winner is.....
005.JPG 015.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG

He ate nearly the entire original pellet and never even looked at the LS. I swear it looked like he was smiling the entire time.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I figured he would at least give the LS a sniff, if not a bite, I mean he eats pretty much anything you put in front of him, but with that Mazuri pellet sitting there he ignored the LS even more than he would one of his turds. Funny stuff, and freaking adorable!

And thanks, wellington, I know I am partial, but I think he is the cutest tort that ever lived. :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Maybe next time only offer the LS. If he eats it then redo your test on a 3rd day with one of each and see which he goes for. Maybe he was just full after the old formula.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Interesting that he didnt even take a sample of the LS,
I thought so too, usually when presented with several different kinds of new food he just randomly bites everything before he zeros in on one, unless one of them is hibiscus leaves of course.
Maybe next time only offer the LS. If he eats it then redo your test on a 3rd day with one of each and see which he goes for. Maybe he was just full after the old formula.
That's the plan! I don't care that he has a preference, but I would hate for the LS to go to waste if he doesn't like it at all.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Try mixing the 2 together. Take a dry LS pellet and crush it, I use regular pliers to do this. Soak a pellet of the original and mix them together or sprinkle some of the LS onto the wet old type. In time he should eat both types. I have several that eat both and with the smaller pellet size of the LS they can eat it dry at a younger age, which for me means less waste. Nice pics of Odin.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree with Len.
I got rid of my LS by wetting it and mixing it in with my regular Mazuri.
If you wet it you can mix it with other smooshed stuff that they will eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Len.
I got rid of my LS by wetting it and mixing it in with my regular Mazuri.
If you wet it you can mix it with other smooshed stuff that they will eat.

Me too.

I just threw some in with the regular Mazuri for the big sulcatas and leopards. They ate it all up.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata never would eat the LS by itself. I could mix it with just about anything else and he would eat it. When he is hungry he will eat anything I feed him. When he is not hungry he will still eat the regular Mazuri.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Well, Mazuri LS, when not alongside the regular, was a big hit...eventually.
First he gave me the cautious stink-eye and ignored it, walking over it to check out the camera in his enclosure.002.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

But after I redirected him he went for it with gusto!

010.JPG 011.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG

Lip-smacking good!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The main problem with Mazuri is that for days afterward he will sit at his dish and pout when he doesn't get any. Stubborn little bugger!
023.JPG 024.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Poor little pouter...

Its hard to have sympathy for him. He looks so good in his pics that I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for him. :p

You are doing a great job with him!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I have as much sympathy for him as I had for my kids when they had fits because they couldn't have ice cream for dinner! :D

Thanks, Tom! We are certainly trying, and this place has been invaluable in that regard.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Has he ever! I have been meaning to weigh him for the last couple of weeks, but I never seem to remember at a good time of day. Maybe tomorrow? :rolleyes:
A few days a go Odin finally got his first serving of Mazuri in months. For this winter I bought it in a 6 pound tub rather than the 1 pound pouches I was buying them in. I still have to buy a tub of the LS, but we still have a bit of the LS left in the pouch from last winter. I like to have them both handy after seeing the epic tantrums he throws after getting used to the regular Mazuri. The more variety he has the less grumpy he seems to be, of course grumpy for Odin is a relative term.:p