Mazuri torotise diet LS

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vail Colorado
I couldn't find the usual (plain old, I guess) Mazuri brand at my local store but there was new reformulated version called Mazuri tortoise diet LS, and the ingredients list included "dried apple pomace," which is new to me. I've been feeding my Hermann's this version for a couple months -- along with other items, both pellets and fresh food, and notice his feces has increased in size since and now sometimes he acts as though he's trying to swallow but having trouble; this gag-like reflex goes away within a couple minutes though. I did call the vet, and she reminded me his last fecal sample showed some pin worms but that these are often present in this species. I'm taking him in for an exam, of course, but thought I'd post this and see what others might think, given the depth of cumulative experience on this list, and in case this information/observation might be of value to someone else. Thanks!

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
After my experience with LS, I won't use it again, ever. (My original post last year told of how my Hermann's got impacted. I had him for four years, and it was only after feeding him LS that he got sick and died. Coincidence? Can't really say. Also, I was doing the same thing that someone else who replied is doing: crushing LS and mixing it with other products that he did like. In retrospect, I don't think that was smart. If a tortoise doesn't like something, don't disguise it with things he does like. My little guy might still be alive today if I hadn't done that.)

I spoke by phone with the Mazuri guy who said he was involved in the research and development of the new formula, and he seemed steadfast that it was OK to feed "dried apple pomace," an LS reformulation ingredient, to a young, basically non-fruit-eating tortoise because the pomace contained antioxidants. I said, "But so do many other things, especially vegetables that a tortoise will eat. Why feed him apple-based stuff?" He said it was what research showed was good. I'll leave it at that. Buyer and beloved tortoise owners beware! (The caller ID was "Land O' Lakes", which I guess is owned by Ralston Purina, which owns the Mazuri brand from what I can figure.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, purina makes the Mazuri brand foods. A lot of members that have tried the new LS have not seen good results as far as their tortoises liking it. I had to buy a small bag last fall until I could get the regular stuff and my tortoises wouldn't eat it either. I won't buy it just for that reason.
So sorry to hear about the death of yours, that's too sad.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I JUST finished a complaint to the company because I had bought some LS through amazon. the package on amazon website showed the regular nugget type mazuri food but I received these real hard to soften pellets that my little buggers wouldn't TOUCH. They wouldn't touch their greens and stuff either even after I removed the stinky offensive junk. I only wanted to try them because my torts are forest torts and the LS is supposed to be geared towards them. My torts tend to love the nuggets but don't like anything pellet, although, the grassland stuff is good.

j156ghs ...you can usually ALWAYS find the regular mazuri nuggets in different sizes on amazon.com

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
j156ghs...Perhaps you can call the person you were talking too about the mazuri LS again and tell them about all the bad results you are hearing from us and request that they reformulate their blend using the regular mazuri as a starting block since all the torts tend to love it? It can only help them. I'm leaning towards a bad review on amazon about the junk but waiting to see if they refund my money or send me regular mazuri so I know how many stars to give them. I will definitely plug this forum on my review, of course. ; )

Blkjkoknhrt

Mine just won't eat it. I refuse to feed mash of many items, how abnormal! He carefully ignores the Mazuri and eats every other scrap. Do I want to starve him to make him eat? NO! Variety is what keeps tortoises eating.
Look at the ingredients - never mind the apple. Ground soybean hulls, GROUND CORN, Dehulled Soybean meal, GROUND OATS, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, then chemicals and finally vits and mins.
Would you feed your Tropical/Grassland/Desert tortoise - box turtle on corn, oats and wheat in any amounts? I wouldn't.

Just sayin'

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 28

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't remember ever reading a post where the author said that their tortoise liked the type L.S.
A mash or mushy, ground up food is a little more normal for a Red foot. They eat a lot of rotten things and dead animals in the wild. (Mushy is on their menu.) About 60% or what mine eat has been chopped up in a food processor and then placed on a plate surrounded by assorted leaves and flowers.
Your comment on the ingredients is valid!

Blkjkoknhrt

Thanks for the info. Still learning about different diets...it's foliage and grasses fro mine.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't remember ever reading a post where the author said that their tortoise liked the type L.S.

Here's one for you. I have 3 Sulcatas, a Leopard, and a Indian Star, All of these tortoises eat the LS Mazuri dry, I crumble it for the Star because of his smaller size. I have some forest dwelling tortoises that I have never offered the LS type. My oldest Sulcata (Walker) who I have had since a 1996 hatchling wont touch it, -but he is one spoiled tortoise- I have been feeding the new LS to these 5 tortoises since it became available and haven't seen any ill effects form it.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I tried to soften it for my tortoises because they're babies. It took forever to soften in warm water. how long would it take to digest stiff like that dry? Right now they potty EVERY day. I can just imagine what feeding this stuff will do long term. They didn't like it anyway so the point is moot.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I tried to soften it for my tortoises because they're babies. It took forever to soften in warm water. how long would it take to digest stiff like that dry? Right now they potty EVERY day. I can just imagine what feeding this stuff will do long term. They didn't like it anyway so the point is moot.
I tried the LS type for my Russian just to try to add variety. I couldn't soften it well with water so I ground it up in a food processor into basically a powder. Then added water to it and mixed it with greens. My tortoise wouldn't touch it, I gave it every day for a week and she still wouldn't touch it. So I marked it up as an experiment. I won't try again, and I won't try the other type either. I feed my dog and cats around diet, I guess I will continue to do that with my tortoise also.

daniel reyes

5 Year Member
Homestead, fl
LS stands for low starch and it is not fed very often to tortoises by Rescues or Zoos, it is only fed on occasion. Most feed stores do not even carry it and will only order it if they get a special request. At my rescue we only feed the standard Mazuri Tortoise diet.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
When I ordered it, it was because of the fact that it seemed geared towards forest type tortoises which mine are. If regular mazuri(nuggets) are good enough for my babies then I'll continue feeding it to them. They love it. Not a hardship at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I ordered it, it was because of the fact that it seemed geared towards forest type tortoises which mine are. If regular mazuri(nuggets) are good enough for my babies then I'll continue feeding it to them. They love it. Not a hardship at all.

The LS is not geared toward forrest types. It was designed to have grass hay as a primary ingredient for grass eating species.

Incidentally, I don't care for the LS either. It won't get mushy when soaked and none of my tortoises will eat it plain. THe peices are too large for small tortoises too. This is not a problem with the regular stuff since it turns to mush in water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and now sometimes he acts as though he's trying to swallow but having trouble; this gag-like reflex goes away within a couple minutes though.

The above symptom sounds like a respiratory infection.

It is possible that your tortoises death had nothing to do with the LS.

In any case, I'd like to offer my condolences on your loss.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Tom, perhaps geared was the wrong word. Mazuri is designed for dry land herbivorous tortoises whereas Mazuri LS is designed for both arid and tropical species. According to their ads on Amazon anyway. It's weird how one company can produce two foods for the same animal and get such OPPOSITE results...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, perhaps geared was the wrong word. Mazuri is designed for dry land herbivorous tortoises whereas Mazuri LS is designed for both arid and tropical species. According to their ads on Amazon anyway. It's weird how one company can produce two foods for the same animal and get such OPPOSITE results...

They spoke about this product at the TTPG conference in AZ last year. They said that many of the people keeping grassland species were not happy with the ingredients list of "regular" Mazuri, so they specifically formulated this new one (LS) around blended timothy hay as a primary ingredient to satisfy the keepers of grass eating tortoises. No reason it couldn't be fed or marketed to other species too, but they told us it was designed for sulcatas, leopards, DTs, etc.

I have not seen the Mazuri marketing stuff, so I can't comment on that, but I believe you. :)

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Both my Sulcatas eat the LS. Before it came out I contacted Mazuri about a problem I had with their "normal" tortoise feed that I bought. I talked to the person who was developing the new LS version, saying it was for tortoises who mainly eat grasses. He sent me a 25lb bag to try. At that time it was still shaped the same as their other version. My Sulcata eat it and will some time pass up their hay to eat the LS.
I have had zero issues feeding it to them and feel better that the first ingredient is hay.