Leopard tortoise swim?

ChiefZane6

Location (City and/or State)
Union City, CA
No its not. I did a thread hear a few years ago with one of my sulcatas swimming. Galops and Aldabras are also known swimmers. And tortoise are not available in "breeds". They are all different species, with an occasional subspecies division. No breeds.

To answer your question: Offer your tortoise a shallow pond with a gently sloping bottom and allow him to choose to enter the water, or not, in warm weather. Do not try to "teach" your tortoise to swim. They can drown, there is no benefit, and it could be quite stressful for some. No reason to do this. Get a slider if you want to see some swimming.
It is Factual Leopard Tortoises can "swim" but it is more of a float. They slowly make their ways across rivers and lakes. Only speaking for East African Pardalis leopards which are known and can be seen crossing the large bodies of water and are found living on floating islands across Baringo Lake and Turkana Lake near the Great Rift Valley. I believe there is a scene in a National Geographic documentary of Leopards being found on random floating islands of vegetation.

ChiefZane6

Union City, CA
It is Factual Leopard Tortoises can "swim" but it is more of a float. They slowly make their ways across rivers and lakes. Only speaking for East African Pardalis leopards which are known and can be seen crossing the large bodies of water and are found living on floating islands across Baringo Lake and Turkana Lake near the Great Rift Valley. I believe there is a scene in a National Geographic documentary of Leopards being found on random floating islands of vegetation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are the only Tortoises species with this ability to the best of my knowledge.
Unfortunately you are wrong. Aldabras, Sulcatas, and the leopards, all of the types can. I'm sure many others can swim too. Not all of them, but some of them. They either do or don't.

ChiefZane6

Union City, CA
Unfortunately you are wrong. Aldabras, Sulcatas, and the leopards, all of the types can. I'm sure many others can swim too. Not all of them, but some of them. They either do or don't.
I stand Corrected. Thanks for expanding on the subject.

Pák

Esztergom
There is a lake close to our garden, this happaned in september it was 80 F air and ~65F water temperature:

He was in the water for maybe 20-30 mins after that he pooped and came out.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
There is a lake close to our garden, this happaned in september it was 80 F air and ~65F water temperature:

He was in the water for maybe 20-30 mins after that he pooped and came out.
Oh! So cute, I hope there were lifeguards on duty :)