How do I train a Leopard tortoise to swim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan M. Lim

Hey guys.
It is factual evidence that the only tortoise breed that can swim is the Leopard tortoise.
If I have a aqua-terrarium enclosure, will it naturally be able to swim?
More importantly, how can I teach him to swim?
Do I even need to teach him?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Why would you want to cause this kind of stress? I don't have any answers to your questions.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can't train them to swim they willn float or they won't

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is very interesting question, I wonder why you need your leopard tortoise to swim?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think swimming is a misnomer. to swim you should be able to go up and down below the surface and things like that tortoises only float at the top they can't control their up and down ability

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I feel that it is healthy to soak tortoises to keep them hydrated.
Soaking is very much from swimming. I can see soaking a leopard tortoise, but teach a Leo to swim.....I don't know.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think torts can be trained to do anything.;)

I tried uselessly to train my tort not to entre a room. I got absolutely nowhere!:(

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: I have Leopards and would be very interested in reading about their swimming ability. I would not ever let them swim, but I am curious as to where you found this information?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: I have Leopards and would be very interested in reading about their swimming ability. I would not ever let them swim, but I am curious as to where you found this information?
Me too, although it's not something I've thought of trying with my leopard.
I believe there were some posts about tortoises swimming a short while back
- maybe if you use the search facility you may find them.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
It is factual evidence that the only tortoise breed that can swim is the Leopard tortoise.
Factual evidence? I've seen Hermanns swim too (my stupid cousin likes to put his tortoise into the pool :mad: ).
I guess most tortoises can swim/float for some time if they have to, but not by choice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I feel that it is healthy to soak tortoises to keep them hydrated.
Yes - I soak my leopard everyday for a short while just to make sure he is hydrated. because I work and rarely see him drink.
The water level only reaches the bottom of his shell though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

No its not. I did a thread hear a few years ago with one of my sulcatas swimming. Galops and Aldabras are also known swimmers. And tortoise are not available in "breeds". They are all different species, with an occasional subspecies division. No breeds.

To answer your question: Offer your tortoise a shallow pond with a gently sloping bottom and allow him to choose to enter the water, or not, in warm weather. Do not try to "teach" your tortoise to swim. They can drown, there is no benefit, and it could be quite stressful for some. No reason to do this. Get a slider if you want to see some swimming.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Factual evidence? I've seen Hermanns swim too (my stupid cousin likes to put his tortoise into the pool :mad: ).
I guess most tortoises can swim/float for some time if they have to, but not by choice.
No most tortoises don't know how to swim. And I would personally go kick your cousins butt.

Jonathan M. Lim

Hello. One of the members in TFO posted a picture (a few years back) of his leopard tortoise swimming. I got intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.