Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I moved my leopards from my ranch to my house. I think one reason that mine are growing slower than some of their clutch mates is over crowding. I've never kept this many tortoises all in one enclosure long term, so I didn't realize how much of a problem it could be. Thanks to everyone who has been posting pics and sizes of theirs. Without you guys, and something to compare mine too, I might not have realized I had a problem as quickly. So I have switched their indoor cage from a 3x5' tub, to a 4x8' enclosed box. Seen here:
2zhmoma.jpg

They have a bark/peat substrate. Two 100 watt CHEs on a thermostat set to 80. A 75 watt flood light for basking and a 4' flourescent tube to light it all up better. There is also a ZooMed Reptifogger on a timer. It comes on every hour or two for a few minutes. There are four hides, two water bowls and three feeding stations spread across the whole 8'. They are only in this at night now that summer is here.

Now on to the outside pen which we call "Leopard Land". Its 40' long and sort of triangle shaped. The big end is around 15' wide and it tapers down to about three feet on the pointy end. I've got roses bushes, rose of sharon, Cape honeysuckle and some shrubs all planted in there for food, shade and cover. During these hot summer days the sprinklers come on for a few minutes every hour or two. All the tortoises run up and down the entire pen. I have no doubt that if it were twice as big they would still pace the whole thing. I also ran 24" hardware cloth all along the wrought iron fence to keep unwanted critters out. Seems to be working so far.

Before:
2edw0vn.jpg

2qxoq3n.jpg

After:
35ldaw1.jpg

245zdz7.jpg

Here's the big end.
xdzf9s.jpg

It tapers down to around 3' behind that bush.
10nrcw5.jpg

This is the far corner. Its the narrowest spot in the enclosure and I just planted this Cape Honeysuckle bush here. They really seem to like this bush. Ever since I planted it, they really seem to like this end of the enclosure best.
2wh4epw.jpg

2hcdmbk.jpg

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
in the first picture is that a fogging system...at first i thought it was your lights burning..hehe...then i thought...NO

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Very nice as always Tom love the outside enclosure :) so your over crowded ? send one or five my way I got some room :p

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Everything looks great Tom. I love the fogger, I have used one since day one for Dayo. When I turn it on she goes and sits under it. I like the hides, where did you get them? I have been looking everywhere for that size.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
HI TOM, IF I DIE , I CAN ONLY HOPE I COME BACK AS ONE OF YOUR TORTOISES! VERY, VERY NICE. LINDY

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Walter, Walter, Walter... we've been over this...

Corey, Corey, Corey... we've been over this too... :D :D (one smiley for each of you)

Tyler, that is a ZooMed Reptifogger. I really like it. Its set to come on several times a day for a few minutes.

Missy, Those are dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They cost around $2. I just cut a door and flip them upside down. Most days they just sleep BEHIND them. Haha.

Thanks to everyone for the nice compliments. :D

tubularseco

10 Year Member!
Hello Tom,
Wonder what type of substrate do you use in the indoor enclosure. I have had problems with both coco coir (a mess all over her eyes) and cypress mulch (she started eating it). I have the leopard on newspaper and want to rise humidity asap. I am down in Puerto Rico and have access to pet smart, home depot, etc.
Thanks!
Sebastian

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It all looks good. I had to split mine up into smaller groups in smaller pens, if I had them all in a big pen like that, it would take me about an hour to find all of them.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very nice Tom , Your little leo's are going to dig the new set up ...
Great job .... looking sweet !

JD~:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tubularseco said:
Hello Tom,
Wonder what type of substrate do you use in the indoor enclosure. I have had problems with both coco coir (a mess all over her eyes) and cypress mulch (she started eating it). I have the leopard on newspaper and want to rise humidity asap. I am down in Puerto Rico and have access to pet smart, home depot, etc.
Thanks!
Sebastian

Its a mixture of this:
256y7tu.jpg

and some sphagnum peat moss from the hardware store.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very cool set up...and pretty too, a little OT Tom...but do you get mountain lions in your neck of the world? I only ask because you have a hillside in one pic and general "look" that would be inviting to them? Sorry about OT, but just hadda ask :D

tubularseco

10 Year Member!
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. I have been reading everything in this forum in silence for a few months and following your recommendations regarding sulcatas and leopards. I got the sulcata on april and she has been under the Tom's caresheet and looks great. A month later I got the leopard and althoguh I have been trying to replicate the enclosure the substrate has been a problem. I can get the sphagnum peat moss and the bark at home depot here, thanks! Both your indoor and outdoor enclosures look great!!!
Sebastian

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
It all looks good. I had to split mine up into smaller groups in smaller pens, if I had them all in a big pen like that, it would take me about an hour to find all of them.

My little girl and I have a great time looking for them every evening. Its like an Easter Egg hunt. We always find the first 11 or 12 right away and then spend 10 minutes searching for the last one or two. I just sit back there and watch them sometimes. Its really peaceful just watching them go about their business.

I'm already planning and thinking about how I want to group them in separate pens in the coming years. I guess it will depend on the sex ratios. I'm also giving a lot of thought to how I want to do their night shelters, but that will be another thread.

How many pp do you have now, Neal?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Very nice. In Greece, a number of folks in one mountain village my father's sister lives in do something very similar for the Hermann's tortoises that they keep (sans separation from the "human" areas). It's a snap for healthy growth and no-work reproduction.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ascott said:
Very cool set up...and pretty too, a little OT Tom...but do you get mountain lions in your neck of the world? I only ask because you have a hillside in one pic and general "look" that would be inviting to them? Sorry about OT, but just hadda ask :D

I love OT in my threads. Makes it feel more like a conversation between friends.

Yes we do have Mt. Lions around here. We rarely see them though. I have only seen one once in 15 years, but some neighbors have seen them a few times too. The ones around here are still very leery of humans and never cause any problems. Mainly they are sighted out near the ranch in the wilderness areas. The area where my house is, and the leopard tortoises, is too "neighborhoody" for them. They don't come around here too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.