species in maryland

lilith-radavich

Location (City and/or State)
baltimore area
Hello im trying to find the right tortoise for my climate, im looking for something around the size of a redfoot or larger hesitant on sulcatas but could feasibly have a large enough enclosure both out and indoors, i have chickens but the outdoor enclosure would be predator proofed, i have prior experience working with reptiles and have cared for an adult male sulcata for 2 weeks previously. im mostly worried about outdoor temperature, any info helps!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello im trying to find the right tortoise for my climate, im looking for something around the size of a redfoot or larger hesitant on sulcatas but could feasibly have a large enough enclosure both out and indoors, i have chickens but the outdoor enclosure would be predator proofed, i have prior experience working with reptiles and have cared for an adult male sulcata for 2 weeks previously. im mostly worried about outdoor temperature, any info helps!
You will want something that tolerates colder temperatures and is small enough to live indoors most of the year in your climate. Any of the Testudo will fit this bill. Russians, Greeks or hermanni. A red foot needs warm temps and high humidity year round, and the enclosure would have to b room size. The high humidity would then ruin your room. RFs do best in th warm humid southeastern states.

It is not feasible to house sulcatas in northern states. They can't be cooped up in sheds and basements for months at a time.

Start here:

Questions are welcome.

lilith-radavich

baltimore area
You will want something that tolerates colder temperatures and is small enough to live indoors most of the year in your climate. Any of the Testudo will fit this bill. Russians, Greeks or hermanni. A red foot needs warm temps and high humidity year round, and the enclosure would have to b room size. The high humidity would then ruin your room. RFs do best in th warm humid southeastern states.

It is not feasible to house sulcatas in northern states. They can't be cooped up in sheds and basements for months at a time.

Start here:

Questions are welcome.
Would testudo marginata work well? space wouldnt be an issue

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would testudo marginata work well? space wouldnt be an issue
It could, but the females get pretty large. Similar in size to a RF. That would require a room sized enclosure over winter, but the humidity could be lower than it would need to be for a similarly sized RF. If you have a room in the house to dedicate to a tortoise then marginated tortoises are great.