Komodo Fruit & Flower - suitable for Russians?

LudusPlus

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Hello!

I know a few threads are around about Komodo pellets but I can't find any specific ones on the fruit & flower variety that answers my question.

I bought these when I first got my tort, and with it now coming into winter I expect foraged weeds to become more sparse & was hoping to integrate pellets once or twice a week (with store bought leafy greens) if I get low.

It says on the container that it is for horsefield tortoises and there doesn't seem anything harmful in the ingredients BUT why is this called fruit & flower if Russians are not supposed to have fruit?

Can anyone good with tortoise dietary please scan these ingredients and tell me if all is OK? Or should I buy a different flavour?

I'm concerned because there's an image of an apple on the front lol, perhaps I am being over cautious..

Attachments

• 20231002_192624.jpg
    20231002_192624.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231002_192615.jpg
    20231002_192615.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see any fruit listed in the ingredients. I see nothing of concern as far as feeding it.
I however, would never buy it again. Not only do they lie on it, they have no clue about a proper diet.
Next time though, try to find more of a grass/weed one or if you can get mazuri.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
I don't see any fruit listed in the ingredients. I see nothing of concern as far as feeding it.
I however, would never buy it again. Not only do they lie on it, they have no clue about a proper diet.
Next time though, try to find more of a grass/weed one or if you can get mazuri.
Yeah I tried to give him it once in the beginning and he wasn't bothered with it at all... I bought it when I was misinformed about diet.

I don't think it'll actually add anything useful to his diet then most likely. I'll just try my best to find the weeds and if not a different supplement.

Thanks for the insight! I did read the ingredients and have no idea why it's called fruit and/or flower because there doesn't seem to be any of either in the ingredients?

LudusPlus

Sheffield
Just had a quick search and you can get the same brand in dandelion, which doesn't have dandelion listed in ingredients. It also comes in banana flavour, marketed toward russians- which is very weird and harmful BUT it doesn't contain any banana!

What is going on here.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just had a quick search and you can get the same brand in dandelion, which doesn't have dandelion listed in ingredients. It also comes in banana flavour, marketed toward russians- which is very weird and harmful BUT it doesn't contain any banana!

What is going on here.
It's just people trying any way at all to get more money.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Thanks for the insight! I did read the ingredients and have no idea why it's called fruit and/or flower because there doesn't seem to be any of either in the ingredients?

did you taste it? fruit & flower is the flavor

LudusPlus

Sheffield
did you taste it? fruit & flower is the flavor
Makes no sense to make an animal such as a tortoise misleading food that tastes like something that would kill them when fed out of strict moderation... just my opinion though.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
I've got most other stuff sorted for winter... already have the heating, ordered a proper hygrometer and temp gun last night to make sure (I manage a hardware store so easy to get).

Just the food situation. That being said the 10 years before I had him he only ate lettuce and he didn't seem addicted because he's tried so many new things with me and really likes them, just don't want to take away the weeds since he's only just had a taste lol. I bought a huge planter (again from my company) so hoping to plant my own stuff for him soon.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hello!

I know a few threads are around about Komodo pellets but I can't find any specific ones on the fruit & flower variety that answers my question.

I bought these when I first got my tort, and with it now coming into winter I expect foraged weeds to become more sparse & was hoping to integrate pellets once or twice a week (with store bought leafy greens) if I get low.

It says on the container that it is for horsefield tortoises and there doesn't seem anything harmful in the ingredients BUT why is this called fruit & flower if Russians are not supposed to have fruit?

Can anyone good with tortoise dietary please scan these ingredients and tell me if all is OK? Or should I buy a different flavour?

I'm concerned because there's an image of an apple on the front lol, perhaps I am being over cautious..
I use this and dandelion for my russian tort. They only need 3 or 5 pellets with fresh leaves. I normally add a dash of water to the leaves and place pellets in that to hydrate. He loves them and they provide extra nutrition. I also add calcium power to the leaves once or twice a week as important for bone , shell, claw and beak strength and growth.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
I use this and dandelion for my russian tort. They only need 3 or 5 pellets with fresh leaves. I normally add a dash of water to the leaves and place pellets in that to hydrate. He loves them and they provide extra nutrition. I also add calcium power to the leaves once or twice a week as important for bone , shell, claw and beak strength and growth.
I gave him some today... deffo more than 5 but I don't think he's actually going to eat it.

I add calcium to his greens etc, I left the pellets in water then spooned them onto a large bok choi leaf so it's more of a treat see if he goes for it.

But looking at the ingredients I don't really understand what this supplement is supposed to be providing?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can always start pulling up a few weeds from the roots and plant them inside.
You can also pick the weeds and dry them to feed during winter.
I do this with my mulberry leaves. I strip the trees I have of their leaves and I either freeze them in the vacuum seal bags or I hang them in mesh bags.
I don't see much in those komodo ingredients either.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
You can always start pulling up a few weeds from the roots and plant them inside.
You can also pick the weeds and dry them to feed during winter.
I do this with my mulberry leaves. I strip the trees I have of their leaves and I either freeze them in the vacuum seal bags or I hang them in mesh bags.
I don't see much in those komodo ingredients either.
I've not found any safe foraging areas yet :/ I see a lot of the stuff he can eat when out and about but I live in a major city center and I work on an industrial estate so I think everything growing nearby will be full of bad stuff he shouldn't be coming into contact with so I've just been buying prepicked online.

Duncan is pretty much the only exception to me spending money so I really don't mind paying a lot for his food but if its avoidable I'd love to save cash lol.

--

He wasn't arsed about the pellets I left him, he's eaten everything else but left those. He hasn't even touched the food it's on at all when he usually loves it. I don't think I can get the brand mentioned here in the UK but looking into something else.

BB123

England
Hi LudusPlus

This is a good place to get Mazuri from in the UK they also do free delivery on everything they sell too. Hopefully that helps.