Just got a red foot

Lilbonk77

I renovate houses. I went into one after the tenant moved out and they left this little girl. So I built a 36'x36' pen outside. Cut a plastic 55 gallon drum in half and was wondering if she could stay outside? I live in south Florida. It's been cold and windy the past few days so she's been inside. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488948283.926918.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488948296.462622.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
She is BEAUTIFUL!!!! And what's the matter with people moving and leaving their pets behind??!!!! Thank you for taking her in. Btw, do you know she is a... SHE?:) looks like she's got some more growing to do. Though not a little baby anymore, she's still a "kid" and if she were mine, I'd keep her warm. 80F is the optimal temp for them. We have some fantastic RF keepers in Florida you can network with. Let's give @ZEROPILOT a shout, he'll give you lots of tips on keeping them in your area. There are others, but I'm just not good about remembering people's user names:( I keep the Redfooted as well but I'm in central Texas, so little different winter than yours. I have outdoor enclosure for mine already planted with all kinds of perennial food-plants but don't keep them there full time yet due to cool temps. Mine will be 2 yrs old in June. We'll probably move them outside full time this summer, or maybe next depending on how much and how fast they grow. Worried about the neighborhood predators that can hurt a little tort. Anyway, welcome to the Forum and looking forward to reading your posts and lots of pictures. Do you have a name for this little beauty yet?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! Lucky for you and your new tort!

Lilbonk77

Hello all. Thank you very much for the reply. I'm very new to all this. Owning a tort and writing on this forum. Also she hasn't eaten any food for four days. Just stays buried.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
Fellow south Floridian!
There should be no issue with your Redfoot living outdoors here for many months ahead.
I have a short video on Youtube:
"Redfoot habitat Florida style"
It shows what I've found to work.
Anything else I can help you with?
Feel free to pm or Email me.
I'll be very happy to help.

Lilbonk77

YES!!! That's a set up. Wow. I'll take some pics of mine when I get home. What kinda predators do I need to be on the look out for? How cold do you let it get before you bring them in?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
YES!!! That's a set up. Wow. I'll take some pics of mine when I get home. What kinda predators do I need to be on the look out for? How cold do you let it get before you bring them in?
Raccoons, if there are any, must be REMOVED. But might not be an issue for a larger tortoise. Mine is closed off to discourage feral cats from pooping inside of the houses.
I have those light bulb heated houses that are on timers and in use whenever the night temps are below 70 and I bring them in whenever it is below 50ish.
Temperature wise, it should be a very long time before low temps are an issue.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you have Hibiscus bushes? I imagine you do.
Feed the leaves and flowers as part of the diet.
Also, Griffs Western feed store in Davie has the big bags of Mazuri tortoise food in stock. I was there this weekend and there must have been 10 bags!
Western Beef in Hollywood has both Broccoli Rabi, cactus pads and Dandelion greens. I use it all almost every day.

Lilbonk77

Thank you for the welcomes. I'll feel a little more comfortable with the tort after I have her for a couple months. I'm still very nervous. But everyone on here is helping me out a lot.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She may not be eating because it is a new place, or she may be too cold. If you have a temp gun or digital thermometer test the spot where she's hiding. Redfoots like to be in the 80's for temp and the little guys lose their heat quickly if they are out in the cold.