Just got a red foot

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Hello and welcome, Nice Tortoise. I rescued a red foot who was left behind at a house as well. She is stll doing great and thriving. She is lucky to have found or you found her. They make great pets and fairly easy to care for.

Kyle

Lilbonk77

I think it is the cold weather that is keeping her down. She gets up to eat greens and fruits. Then just goes back to her house. I've had to keep her inside the past few days. Seems to be doing well. It's going to be in the 80s this weekend so she'll be back outside for two days. Anyone know where I can find a list of edible plants I can put in the pen?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It will be normal for your tortoise to not be active during the middle of the day if it is hot.
Provide bushy, shady plants and a big water pool that he can climb into and get out of.
My group doesn't spend too much time out in the full sun. Just before and after midday or if it rains. They LOVE the rain.

Lilbonk77

My red foot doesn't leave her house. If I put food down she doesn't leave. If I pick her up and put her in front of the food. That's when she eats. Temperature is good. Same with the water. She only drinks when I put her in the bowl. Is this normal?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My red foot doesn't leave her house. If I put food down she doesn't leave.
What temperatures do you have inside her house and outside?

If I pick her up and put her in front of the food. That's when she eats.
She's training you well. A hungry tort at the correct temperature will go looking for food. If you keep moving her to it, why should she bother?

Temperature is good.
What are these good temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit (or Celsius)?

Same with the water. She only drinks when I put her in the bowl. Is this normal?
Actually that's quite common. Don't worry about it with water. Water still needs to be available in the enclosure as well though.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
I am so glad you were able to rescue that tortoise. She is a beauty and lucky to have you! Great job on the enclosure!!!

Lilbonk77

Inside the house where she stays it's always around 80 degrees give or take. Thank you. I just want to make sure she won't starve or I'm doing anything wrong.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Although Redfoot can handle temperatures into the low 60s, they can only digest food if they are kept at 80 or above. They also get uncomfortable if it is too hot.
If she/he isn't able to digest food, she/he wont be much interested in eating anything else and may just want to hang out and sleep.
It could just be that the enclosure is new and the tortoise doesn't feel safe yet.