just got red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Big Flats,NY
ok for now this is the set up for now until 3ftx8ft table is build but i'm worried because of his pyramiding on shell i'm following the diet from tortoise library not even sure on age i'm using just a day heat light have a powersun build coming monday i want to get him/her outside if the rain ever stops i live in southern tier of new york (watkins glen nascar track area) some getting outside is not avaible right now i need some good advise so i can provide a good life for this little guy or girl i have done alot of reading but it's nice to hear it from people that have been doing it longer

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The enclosure looks sufficient for the moment. The water dish could be larger and the hide smaller but otherwise all looks good for temporary housing. Another note, those plants will be knocked over and eaten...

The pyramiding is typical of a farm-raised redfoot and should not pose a problem in the future assuming humidity/hydration are maintained.

More importantly...
The whitish patches on its plastron are shell rot. The treatment of this has been covered in other threads on this and other sites.

kylie

5 Year Member
Big Flats,NY
thank you so much we are going out today to get supplies to start building larger cage and we will get stuff to treat shell rot thanks agian for noticing that can you tell if it is girl or boy

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A few thoughts, nothing really big...

1. The hide as it is, is pretty open. Most tortoises, and especially those like Red-foots, like to feel more snug- hidden, wedged in, etc. If you point your hide more away from the light and loosely fill it with very slightly damp moss or paper towels, it will help. My guys like to hide under slabs of bark.

2. In the tub, you could add a lot of warmth and humidity by just taking another identical tub and flipping it upside down over this one. some binder clips or punch holes in the rims and use ties to hold them together. Some air holes along the perimeter of the upside tub will help with fresh air. You can cut out a whole side of the upside down tub and glue or tape in a clear plastic panel for visibility if you want.

3. The tort is too young to sex yet, but shows female characteristics right now, as all immature torts do. I am terrible at guessing ages.

Thanks for using the Library. I keep tinkering with it to make it better, and have a ways to go!

kylie

5 Year Member
Big Flats,NY
thank you to everyone my red foot has all that is needed and is being treated for his shell rot we got the bigger table build will post photos soon

kylie

5 Year Member
Big Flats,NY
just thought i would give everyone an update he/she is doing much better shell rot is almost gone big new enclosers done kinda boring right now got to add more stuff soon

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats on the new tort, and that is good progress on the new enclosure..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kylie:

I just went back over all your posts and it seems we've all been remiss in welcoming you to the forum, so:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Is "Kylie" your name? And may we know where you are?

Wow, I'm impressed that you were able to get the shell rot under control so quickly. Good Job!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome! Your enclosure looks great. Plenty of room to grow in. One suggestion....maybe a bigger water dish so she can sit in and soak if she want's to. I'm also impressed how fast you got to the shell rot. I think you're off to a wonderful start to making your RF happy and healthy.

kylie

5 Year Member
Big Flats,NY
thanks everyone as far as the water dish does anyone have an idea what to use for a bigger one
no kylie is my daughters name she is 14 and this is her tortiose but like any parent should know you have to help take care of any animal you get your child we both split taking care of her were animal lovers(2 dogs,quaker parrot,parakeet,chameleon,crested&bibron geckos and sugar glider)zoo LOL we live in big flats,ny my name is heather my daughter sign up here so we could get more info and help if need we are on other forums for our other exotic animals to just for fast help if needed thanks for everyones help on shell rot and encloser help we are working on drawings for outdoor set up we had temp. one but she climb out and was in the niebors yard so that scared us so new one to come

Status
Not open for further replies.