IVORY SULCATA THREAD: Aladar's Babies! (ULTRA PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so glad you are sharing them with us and keeping up on it. They always make me laugh. They could brighten even someone's worse day. Thanks. And yes, that was an Awww picture and a LMAO one too.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
IT-1 is noticeably larger than the other two...and the first to break 100 grams. However, 'she' has a ways to go to catch Monstro! :D
DSC_0293.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great comparison shot. A pic like this should be posted in every pet store that sells sulcatas, just so those wanting to impulse buy, will know what they are actually getting, instead of what they are told store employee.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Learned something else today! IT-1 is no longer buoyant! I put them in the pool for their semi-daily swim...and 'she' sank right to the bottom! NO PHOTOS...instant retrieval! But here she is walking away...if you were to look at her precisely parallel to where the carapace meets the plastron...you would see that 'she' is as bulbous underneath as 'she' is on the top...hence the 'she'...the other two are already going concave. I know it's way too soon to tell...but that's the direction we're headed!

DSC_0298.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So...today the ITs are feeling lazy. Kinda funny...considering what should be well in the 100s...is more like 85 today...thanks to a nice constant breeze blowing through the Desert. What Angelenos aand Mickey Mouse inhabitants call Santa Anas...we call relief!

IT-1 displaying the proper form to take when devouring Mazuri!
DSC_0338.JPG

IT-2 walked up to a chunk of cuttlebone...and fell asleep...still sleeping in this position as I write!
DSC_0341.JPG

IT-3 walked up to a separate piece of cuttlebone...examined it for the better part of five minutes...then walked away without a nibble!
DSC_0339.JPG

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That's how I feel about brussel sprouts :confused: I stare at them and know I SHOULD eat them but then I walk away :D
NO! He loves cuttlebone...just not today!

NOTE: I hate ALL cruciferous vegetables...and refuse to eat any cooked veggies, at all! ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Look who's back in the water...and check out the turbulence from a shot through the EAC :p
DSC_0345.JPG

And, from this, came an impromptu experiment...abrupt if you will! I noticed IT-2 drinking from the pond moments before. So, when I put him and IT-3 in the pool to swim...IT-2 sank immediately. HMMMMMMM! So, I pulled him out just as fast as he went in...and went over and picked up IT-1. Lo and behold...she floated! What's more...she was swimming...fast!

So, I put this topic up for debate...or theory if you're so inclined! I'm of the impression that when a tortoise drinks...it may weigh more in the water than if it hadn't drank!

For those needing a different approach...I worked with 45 chimps that were managed in five different groups dispersed on six islands. That's right! Islands! For those that aren't aware...chimps weigh more in the water than they do out of it! In other words...if the water is above their heads...they drown. Sink like a stone! This is due to extreme muscular density! Well, we know how tortoise permeable a tort is...their ability to absorb water...well...what happens when they drink and then attempt to swim? Apparently, they sink! Seriously, due their muscles and organs absorb water in the same manner as their hide/skin? Love yo hear your thoughts!

"Sweet!"
"Totally!"
DSC_0348.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.