Is college worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement! I will keep going and worry about one semester at a time instead of 5 years or so from now :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Stephanie Logan said:
All of the statistics indicate that the more education you have, the more you earn. There are the occasional Bill Gates exceptions who drop out and still become billionaires, but even those people, when interviewed, encourage most people to get as much education as they can.

In America, your opportunities are pretty much dictated by how much you invest in your education and job training. To me, education is the gift you give yourself, and it keeps on giving.

I don't know anyone who regrets having gone to college.

I do regret it. I spent years in college and now work for a place that could not care less about my educational background. The lawyer in the story I mentioned is having strong doubts. There are literally millions of graduates out there who are working in a career that did not require a degree but have to pay it off. Look at the statistics for college grads living at their parent's homes.

While it is true that the higher your degree, the more you earn, that does not include your earnings to debt ratio. As an example, the typical dental hygenist makes more profit for much of their work life than the typical dentist does since the dentist has so much more debt to pay off.

This is not a rant against college, my wife is a professor- without college she would not have qualified for the job nor would she have a job to work in- this is just an alternate opinion that suggests doing your homework, just like we would say about getting a tortoise.

If college is right for you, and you have a plan- absolutely go for it!

J

jctu82

College is absolutely worth it. I wanted to stop midway, but my parents forced me to finish. I am still paying off loans, but I think I still have an advantage over people without a college degree. Just finish and you won't regret it in the end :)

Status
Not open for further replies.