Last day of College!....

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
It is just before 1am of my last official day as a college student. I have been going to school for over seventeen years (wow, pretty strange saying that), and now that I am at the end of my bachelor's degree, with no immediate plans to pursue a graduate degree, I feel incredible!

My degree is in Music Education (I play drums and percussion), but I'm only going to pursue a part-time career as a music teacher (private percussion lessons, like I've done for the past seven years). My full-time job for the time being is working in the firearms industry. A little different than what I went to school for, but surprisingly fun and entertaining! Of course I will also continue playing a few gigs a week with various bands. Now I will also have more time to work with the tortoises!

Just thought I'd share my good news.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Good for you man!.I'm a drummer myself (music degree) and taught a few yrs. also.Ya might not get rich playing/teaching but it sure is fun...I had a guy at work that was in the firearms business for yrs. making 6 figures and decided it was to stressful and he wanted to work with his hands.He basically was lumping lumber and going for supplies making $15hr...Never seen a guy so happy...Best of luck to you in w/e path you choose.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Congradulations. Being educated is not always financially rewarding!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Great news! Congratulations! Alot of work and you followed thru! Awesome! As a "MOM" I am very excited for you!!
WOOOHOOO!!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Congrats man. I'm also at the same point you are, took me seven years though so not as impressive I guess. Good luck!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Thanks for the support guys! Looking back, I'm surprised I was able to do so much on top of my hectic course load. I maintained my a studio of 20-35 students, played gigs all of the time, rehearsed with groups all of the time, and still made time for investing a few years in my tortoises to help them be successful.

zzzdanz:
I remember seeing somewhere else that you went to Berklee. I just went to a liberal arts school where the faculty was mostly Eastman grads (since Eastman is only a few miles away), and everyone told me to go for Music Education because it was the safe bet. I started as a dual major in Music Education and Music Performance, and dropped the performance degree simply because it came with a foreign language requirement, and I figured it wasn't worth the extra time. Almost every year I wanted to switch to a B.A. in Music (so a liberal arts degree with a concentration in music) because I wanted to study more than music, and I wanted to have more flexibility to study music in my own way. Now that it's done with, I'm glad I got the degree, but it was a long haul!

I assure you, I will not be making six figures in my new job in the firearms industry. That would be a nice thought though!

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Ya never know man.That guy I worked with was with the same company for quite awhile and moved up rather quickly.I can't remember which co. he worked for but I know they moved to Conn..He used to travel all over the world doing w/e it was he did,and got to shoot some crazy guns.

I remember when I finished school,it felt like I could breathe again.Full time job,full time student,playing gigs,some studio work,a cpl. students on the side.It's a lot,and you did it.I tip my hat to ya..be proud of yaself.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congratsss :D
I remember that feeling, I was so happy but so sad and so scared at the same time lol.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I just got back from turning in my student teaching portfolio, which is technically the last thing I had to do to graduate. Tomorrow I still have to go back out to the school I was student teaching at to rehearse the bands and prepare for a concert I have to conduct them in tomorrow evening. Tomorrow evening around 9 I am going to feel like I can really breathe again.

It's really a strange feeling though, because this is the ninth time I've finished a semester, and usually there is a sigh of relief, followed by the depressing thought that there would only be a short break before I had to start it all over again. Now it is just done for good, and I don't think that has really sunken in yet. Compared to what I have had to do the past few years (like zzzdanz said, working, going to school full-time, playing lots of gigs, doing studio work that always seems to last until 4am, and teaching lessons), it's not going to be too bad. Basically all of the same stuff, but minus having to go to school full-time.

I'm excited for what the future holds. I feel better about my life and my future than I think I ever have before.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Congratulations!! I am currently pursuing a college degree and going part time so it will take me a while to finish. I've got my finals wed and then have the relief of a break but then the start of the next semester looms around the corner. Best wishes to you in life after college! It truly is a big accomplishment

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your degree. :D You should be very proud of yourself. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Congratulations! That's wonderful. My son will be graduating in May...finally. He's been away up-state at Binghamton University. I can't wait to have him home again. Education is a privilege that some people don't have......never a waste.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Congratulations, Ryan. It's a big accomplishment to finish college, and you should be very proud of yourself. Enjoy your moment because you WORKED for it! I remember the seeming whirlwind that went with my graduation: Within 7 days, I closed the sale of my first home, flew to MT for my first job interview, signed my first teaching contract, moved, and graduated. Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.