Indoor enclosure, all input welcome

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Thank you! I just can't get enough of this little guy, he is so funny! And he really does love sliding out of the gardens, but he will only do it if he can get the angle just right and when we stop him and relocate him he really seems to pout. :D

TSchadel

Kansas
Yes he will grow ridiculously quick. I would not use sand at all, but hopefully it will be okay. I am not at all sure about the walnut. I have a table that we built and later had to cover. This is how we raised our humidity. I easily maintain 80% humidity and over 80 F at all times. My Leopards are growing smooth and healthy. Sulcatas need the same conditions.
View attachment 110904
Jodie - this is something I'm looking to do for my table. Do you have lights in there? I can't quite see. I posted a picture of my table when I first started on the ABSOKUTELY WONDERFUL forum!. I'm thinking of plastic like you have in your picture. Can you post some close ups so I can get a better view? Thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Jodie - this is something I'm looking to do for my table. Do you have lights in there? I can't quite see. I posted a picture of my table when I first started on the ABSOKUTELY WONDERFUL forum!. I'm thinking of plastic like you have in your picture. Can you post some close ups so I can get a better view? Thanks
Hope these help. The frame has cross beams that lights hang from. The one on the left was the 1st one. It is all wood. The one on the right we recently added. We had a broken yard tent canopy thing. We used the pieces from the frame to build it

Attachments

• 0718151856a.jpg
    0718151856a.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 31
  • 0718151856b.jpg
    0718151856b.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 0718151857a.jpg
    0718151857a.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 28
  • 0718151856.jpg
    0718151856.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 30

TSchadel

Kansas
Hope these help. The frame has cross beams that lights hang from. The one on the left was the 1st one. It is all wood. The one on the right we recently added. We had a broken yard tent canopy thing. We used the pieces from the frame to build it
These are great and give me some ideas. Unfortunately my table does not have high enough sides for Irwin to have a double decker - so that will be a future project. Are those spider plants in there? I've been thinking of redecorating to include plants.
Here is his table currently - any thought, observations, do's/dont's?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 21

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
These are great and give me some ideas. Unfortunately my table does not have high enough sides for Irwin to have a double decker - so that will be a future project. Are those spider plants in there? I've been thinking of redecorating to include plants.
Here is his table currently - any thought, observations, do's/dont's?
Plants, definitely. Spider plant is a good one, safe to eat and good for cover. As much as they like their hides, plants give additional hiding spots and they also hold more humidity in the enclosure. Grass and clover seed are cheap, quick to sprout and will encourage natural grazing.

TSchadel

Kansas
Plants, definitely. Spider plant is a good one, safe to eat and good for cover. As much as they like their hides, plants give additional hiding spots and they also hold more humidity in the enclosure. Grass and clover seed are cheap, quick to sprout and will encourage natural grazing.
Thanks Gma!!! I was just thinking about you! Irwin is not very happy with me cause I keep messin with his table and rearranging. I remembered what you said about Odin being grouchy. Irwin spent all sat night in the corner where his hut used to be - I moved it closer to the lights. He's gonna be really mad cause I'm going to try to fashion a larger hiding hut with Spanish moss.... And then make an enclosure for the whole darn table, he's gonna be in a tizzy for sure! But it's all out of love ❤️

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thanks Gma!!! I was just thinking about you! Irwin is not very happy with me cause I keep messin with his table and rearranging. I remembered what you said about Odin being grouchy. Irwin spent all sat night in the corner where his hut used to be - I moved it closer to the lights. He's gonna be really mad cause I'm going to try to fashion a larger hiding hut with Spanish moss.... And then make an enclosure for the whole darn table, he's gonna be in a tizzy for sure! But it's all out of love ❤️

Odin is going to be in a mood today too! His enclosure needs a good cleaning and that always sets him off. "Why are you taking out all of my tort turds? I was saving those!":p

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Here is his table currently - any thought, observations, do's/dont's?View attachment 139806View attachment 139807View attachment 139806View attachment 139807[/QUOTE
Leave the piece your lights are on that. That makes it easier. You already have a start. You could just make 2 or 3 more of those and put the plastic over it. It makes it easier to get into it and works Best if you can use one piece of plastic to cover both end and the back. Make it long enough that it goes well below the bottom. Use a 2nd sheet that overlaps for the front, and I use duck tape to attach the top only. so you can lift up the whole thing or just a corner. Don't cut the plastic. It won't hang closed. Those are spider plants. I also have trays that I swap out with grass seeds in it. I have planted seeds directly in substrate too.

TSchadel

Kansas
Primitive but effective - Irwin's humidity levels are climbing!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 22