Indoor enclosure, all input welcome

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Look all that snow outside. I think you build a very nice indoor enclosure and indoor garden. Very nice!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I put spagnum Moss in my Russian tortoise enclosure , in the hides, and she hates it. She will not use any hide that has the moss in it. unless of course she has dug it all out first. so I guess I won't bother putting any more in.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I am considering the addition of heat mats (the kind for seedlings) underneath the planting boxes to increase the heat and humidity. I have seen here that some have experience with them and seem pleased. Any suggestions on brand, size etc.?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
With the addition of the plexiglass cover Odin's enclosure is now maintaining between 75 and 80% humidity and between 75-80 degrees in the plant side, similar conditions underneath the basking area, slightly cooler and drier in his favorite digging area (underneath the ramp) between 70-75, and inside his hide with moist moss, the humidity is nearly 90% with temps in the low to mid 90's with the basking light on. I haven't temped it during the night with the heat coil on, but it must be pretty comfy for him because that is where he sleeps all night. I think we are getting somewhere here!
Today he is sprawled out on top on the sphagnum moss wall that he likes to push into the doorway, half in and half out of his hide, just showing off his cute little booty.
I also included a pic of his roommate, Wolverine the gecko, just chillin' upside down.
002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would worry about him sitting too much under those lights. He's awfully close to them. They could burn the new growth.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The photo angle is a little deceiving, The bottom of the light cans are slightly over a foot above the basking area.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hi, look great. I'll put a flat rock under the heating lamp. Torts live to warm up they bellies that way.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Hi, look great. I'll put a flat rock under the heating lamp. Torts live to warm up they bellies that way.
We had one up there for quite a while but he avoided it so we put it underneath the raised platform. He still doesn't care for it. :confused:

And another rare sunny winter day, so another walk in "the park". Inspecting and sampling his budding garden beds.
010.JPG 012.JPG 014.JPG 019.JPG 021.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The rotating gardens are doing very well! As soon as he tramples / eats one, we switch it out and have so far more than kept up with his bottomless appetite, but hibiscus is still his favorite. The geranium is finally rebounding after being brought indoors for the winter and my hibiscus cutting are finally developing callus, which means next steps, roots! AND our big hibiscus is starting to develop buds again, so soon he will get his favorite treat, a flower bigger than he is!
Currently on the sprouting menu, grass, carrot, marigold, dandelion, clover, chicory, radish, spinach, trefoil and, as always, loads of aloe and spiderplant babies. Just look at that sweet, happy face!001.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 026.JPG 033.JPG 034.JPG

Gennifer11

I'm from minnesota too! Yay! Currently stationed in VA though, I can't imagine bringing my tort back home always trying to keep the humidity up and trying to make sure he gets sun. Good job!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Even though he is indoors right now we make sure he gets real sun at least a couple times a week thanks to our south facing deck doors (it gets hot back there!) That is where we keep his growing gardens and he spends several hours a week roaming them in the sun whenever it makes an appearance. As he gets bigger it will be more of a challenge, but right now it's a piece of cake!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Finally got an infrared thermometer to get more accurate temp readings. Cold side 86-89 depending on location, 75-80 depending on location underneath the raised basking area and ramp, basking area 107, hide 103. Also added a couple of "permanent" plants.
The first stalk of aloe was torn off the plant in under 10 minutes. :D
005.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
New additions to the garden seed mix, arugula, cress, endive, radicchio, and a few lettuces, Salad bowl, oakleaf and red salad bowl, also a pack of microgreens, that include beets, pak choi, Kohlrabi, broccoli di ciccio and more radish. We also purchased some mustard greens, which he loved! (first produce I have purchased for him, and it was for fun not necessity) and we also bought an acorn squash and gave him a small slice to try. Completely ignored it and continued decimating his baby greens.
This is the face of the most spoiled tortoise in all of the land.
008.JPG 012.JPG

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I got the seed trays and some of the seeds on Amazon (the dandelions and the clover / trefoil mix). The rest of the seeds I have picked up locally.

Kenzi W

Ok thanks! I was wondering because I went to Lowes and I haven't seen anything like what you got!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
A tortoise story

Hey Odin! Do you want to check out how your new gardens are coming along?
*grumble*004.JPG
Hmm. This looks promising....006.JPG
Ooh! Adventure!007.JPG
So....close.....008.JPG
Um, no. that is a little scary.009.JPG
Wait, one more try! I think I can, I think I can!!!!!010.JPG
Ugh! Gma is so mean! she never lets me have any fun!
011.JPG
Fine, If I can't slide out of the garden, YOU can't take pictures!014.JPG
Whatev. I wanted to go to bed anyway. HMPH!018.JPG
Quit taking pictures! 019.JPG
UGH! I hate this family!020.JPG
GO AWAY GMA!!!!!021.JPG