I'm too worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knack4things

5 Year Member
I got him about three weeks ago from Turtleshack.com, it took him a little while to perk up when he arrived, but when he did, he was fine, active and eating. He could graze when he wanted, I also fed him Grassland Tortoise diet. He had access to water and I always made sure that he had shade, even if it was outside. I would run out constantly to make sure he was okay, watered his enclosure to keep the soil moist.

He was 28 grams when he arrived. Apparently that's small? Started gaining weight after his arrival, and then this happened today. He was limp and lifeless the whole day, used the bathroom one last time- greenish and slimy. He foamed at the mouth towards the end so I soaked him because I read that was a sign of dehydration or poisoning. His limbs were also not functioning properly, he would drag them, and then slowly his movements came to a halt and he crossed over.

This all happened extremely fast. I don't think a vet would have been able to help in time, blood tests and stuff I mean, he was small, still fit in the palm of my hand. I keep thinking 'I should have' done that, but it's too late now and I feel terrible.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
So sorry.

Ann from CT

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that he didn't make it. I guess the outdoor setup was too cold for him. I wish we knew for sure what he died of so that you, as well as anyone who's reading this, could avoid a y mistakes that were made. Unfortunately, that's how we learn. Please don't blame yourself. Anybody could have done all they thought to care for their torts, and he'll still pass away. Babies are very difficult to keep from passing. Sorry for your loss. Please try again sometime soon.

Good advice from sibi
Now you know to do all the proper research before you jump in and buy a new pet :)
If you're looking to get another sulcata I'd suggest getting an older one, maybe a yearling...
Good luck on your next tort and stay positive!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Please, don't feel like that. Heather had a good point. The baby just could've been too sick when you got him. Since we don't know what killed him, if it were me, I'd have a necropsy preformed to be sure. This way, you will know and take steps to avoid anything that can cause what really killed him. You will feel many emotions now. It's natural, and you have to mourn in your way. I don't know if anything that anyone says right now could lift your spirits, buy know that we care about you and your loss. Know that you can get on and find friends who understand your feelings. Know that we're here for you 24/7! Believe that one day, people will not suffer or shed tears anymore. The former things have passed away. That's God's promise to mankind:)

Knack4things

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, your support means a lot to me. I love this site, wish I had found it sooner. :)

We loved Cas like family, he was so fascinating to watch stomp around. Yes, he was our first tortoise, but definitely not our last. We're hooked on them, and my mom has always wanted one, she loves nature and being outside in the garden. Birds and wildlife flourish here. I think the idea of a yearling sounds amazing, but I'm going to do as much research as I can to prevent another death from happening before I decide to get another.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That is soooo smart of you! You can determine what kind of tort would fit your life style too. If you're looking for a tort that has personality, there's the redfoots, sulcatas, and Russians. If you're looking for small and easy, there's Hermann's. There's many torts at different prices. Learn about there natural habitats and how we can simulate those conditions. Best to you and your family. This site has so much you can learn from.

Status
Not open for further replies.