I NEED HELP!!!!!!! (dog attack)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
do not worry about finding an exotic or emergency vet. just go to the veterinarian that can treat by a normal veterinarian. the tortoise needs antibiotics and cleaning of the world possibly more than once take it to the vet as soon as possible

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know, still, all I can think of now, is "that poor tort! Someone give her some pain meds! Now!" And "that poor OP!" I know he will do enough self-bashing without our help. I'd rather give him credit for reaching out for help.
Bashing, no. But, something has to rattle them. i don't understand how it could happen twice.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Bashing, no. But, something has to rattle them. i don't understand how it could happen twice.
I know, and I am in that "anticipating problems" category of people. Still, s**** happens, and really we don't know all the facts. I am anxious to hear the update on the injured tortie status

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know, and I am in that "anticipating problems" category of people. Still, s**** happens, and really we don't know all the facts. I am anxious to hear the update on the injured tortie status
Me too. Hope it's going or will go well for all.

Pearly

5 Year Member
@jakeman87 I hope you have been able to get your tort into some vet clinic to get him an emergency care (pain meds and clean/dress the wound). In all that commotion and adrenaline rush we have all been remiss in welcoming a new Forum member. All the discussion above is just a passionate exchange of people who share one common interest: love of their tortoises. I am glad you have found us here and hope you have been able to get your injured tort to the vet in time. As much as I hate it that you had repeated dog attack on your tort, I am glad you have thought to reach out. Stick around here. The knowledge you will gain here will help you caring for your tort through his recovery and rehabilitation. My best wishes to both of you and welcome from Texas

Pearly

5 Year Member
Bashing people online is not helpful. Whatever the reason. Please focus on helping not judging.
Kasia, I don't think this has been anyone's intent. People are simply passionate about their torts. And that's a good thing. I think.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi, can we get an update on his condition? We really want to help you through this! Thanks for coming to this site for help and advice, it's all given in good faith and for the best of reasons.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a tortoise that was attacked by a dog, we took him to the vet and got shots and a solution to soak him in 3 weeks ago. now he stays inside until better. just got attacked again but much worse. no exotic vets around to take to... what should I do? please help. my number is 7148736087
Very sorry to have just learned about that horrifying attack.

Anything new? Hope to hear your tort is better very soon.

Please keep us updated, and if you need to "talk" I am all listening ears. Just send me a PM.

jakeman87

Mr tortal is still alive and we took him to the vet the next morning and were the first to be seen. I was given ointment and a solution to soak him in diluted water and specific steps on what to do. Once a day he is to be placed in the water for twenty minutes, I then remove him and then apply the ointment to the less damaged spots. I then put sugar on the major wound as seen in the picture as told to do. I then let him rest and give him so grapes in front of him. This is tough for me and definitely worse for him. According to the vet, this must be done for 3 months. He will be indoors for the remainder of that time. I feel bad for him and call the vet daily to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Thank you for your help

Korall

Sweden
Mr tortal is still alive and we took him to the vet the next morning and were the first to be seen. I was given ointment and a solution to soak him in diluted water and specific steps on what to do. Once a day he is to be placed in the water for twenty minutes, I then remove him and then apply the ointment to the less damaged spots. I then put sugar on the major wound as seen in the picture as told to do. I then let him rest and give him so grapes in front of him. This is tough for me and definitely worse for him. According to the vet, this must be done for 3 months. He will be indoors for the remainder of that time. I feel bad for him and call the vet daily to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Thank you for your help

Happy to hear that your tort is still alive and was given treatment.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Great to hear you tort is better.

Recovery does take time, so take it easy.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We are here to help you through this, it will be a long process of healing and lots of work and time on your part!
Sugar??? Anyone here ever heard of sugar treatment? First I have heard of that!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We are here to help you through this, it will be a long process of healing and lots of work and time on your part!
And watch out for those ants who will go for the sugar!!!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada

I'm pretty sure sugar is used to reduce swelling in big wounds. Sometimes until it shrinks enough to to close back up up( by itself or with help)

Alicia Hoogstra

Your poor baby! I am glad he's in recovery. Keep us updated and remember there are some really knowledgeable people here and they are always willing to help!