Help Me out please... (dog attack)

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan!
My sulcata tortoise was attacked last night and is now ok. his shell is cracked in two spots where the dog bit him. the dog scratched the door open and got in there and i have no clue what happened.... but i got home and discovered him after my mom had potentially saved his life earlier. a bigish piece is off, and there is a little little spot where blood was drawn. i soaked him and fed him and everything. i let him rest last night nice and warm and dark. so any help is good. thank you so much.

JWiediyanto

I heard about this accident. Unfortunately, the sulcata doesn't make it. You should go to the vet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi:

Don't be too worried. Tortoises are very resilient. What sometimes does them in is the infection. It might be a good idea to get some antibiotics from a vet.

What you did is exactly the correct thing to do. You did good, kiddo.

Was this your own dog? Wow! He's really determined to get at that tortoise, huh?

I think what JWiediyanto might have meant (I don't think English is his first language) is that he has heard about dog/tortoise attacks before. And actually, the advice to go to a vet was good advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear this happened. Be sure to fix the place the dog got in so it doesn't happen again. Also, double check the rest of the enclosure to be sure there are no weak spots for the dog to find. Now,that he knows who is in there and that he can get in, he will be more determined to keep doing it.
Be sure to keep the torts wound areas clean of dirt and stuff. Good luck, hope he heals fine and with no problems.

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
Hi:

Don't be too worried. Tortoises are very resilient. What sometimes does them in is the infection. It might be a good idea to get some antibiotics from a vet.

What you did is exactly the correct thing to do. You did good, kiddo.

Was this your own dog? Wow! He's really determined to get at that tortoise, huh?

I think what JWiediyanto might have meant (I don't think English is his first language) is that he has heard about dog/tortoise attacks before. And actually, the advice to go to a vet was good advice.
thank you, money is just tight right now, so its hard to get him to the vet. but the dog must have opened the door by scratching... it was the first day i had my tortoise in his new open enclosure in his own room.. but yvonne, i have more questions for you if you dont mind

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would straight away offer ALOT more areas for that tort to hide under/in.....lots and lots of plants (either real or silk plants)...that tort likely feels very exposed...good size of enclosure but needs to be made more outside like....does that make sense....

Is that the only damage to the tort? Keep it flushed with warm water (use a squeeze bottle to flush with) and I would use a spray antiseptic and not allow any flies around the tort at all until the wound is not "wet" any longer....

Also allow the tort to be calm and quiet...he was just in the jaws of death, literally---there is likely some emotional moments he is dealing with as well....so safe, calm, quiet and warm.....

Have you really made sure to examine the entire tort for any puncture wounds....Yvonne is bang on when she warns about infection...

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
I would straight away offer ALOT more areas for that tort to hide under/in.....lots and lots of plants (either real or silk plants)...that tort likely feels very exposed...good size of enclosure but needs to be made more outside like....does that make sense....

Is that the only damage to the tort? Keep it flushed with warm water (use a squeeze bottle to flush with) and I would use a spray antiseptic and not allow any flies around the tort at all until the wound is not "wet" any longer....

Also allow the tort to be calm and quiet...he was just in the jaws of death, literally---there is likely some emotional moments he is dealing with as well....so safe, calm, quiet and warm.....

Have you really made sure to examine the entire tort for any puncture wounds....Yvonne is bang on when she warns about infection...
that is the only blood damage. couple scratches on the back but nothing punctured. what kind of cover though?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
You can offer alot of plant canopy areas....I will post a few pics here for example :D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/kellyh17/enclosures005.jpg

See the variety of plants to hide in and under...

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt199/hettiehermann/enclosure/IMG_5477.jpg

http://rivista-cdn.reptilesmagazine.com/images/turtles/tort-table-1-500.jpg?ver=1248707776

You can customize your own set up...but these are just to show you what I meant :D
is this better for right now?20140902_131858.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would add a lot more vegetative stuff to your enclosure - be creative. Your substrate also doesnt have to just be flat. Make some hills and dales, add a "boulder" here and there and some rocks for him to climb up, on and over. Maybe even an old log. Granted this is in your house and u don't want to introduce a lot of bugs/pests - but there's lots you can do to that space.

Ps, not sure what that spindle is holding up the plywood, but be careful that your tort doesnt knock it out, and collapse the roof on his already sore shell/back.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
thank you every one so far! so is the vet recommended?
Love how the enclosure is coming along. Looking at the wound not really. Neosporin or betadin and gauze that is held on using painters tape or electrical tape is all really. If there is an infection (it smells sweet and pus is coming out) then some antibiotics from a vet might be necissary. But if you keep the wound clean and treated he should be fine.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
so is the vet recommended?

If it were "me", I would keep the area clean and flushed and watch the tort and the injuries, I also would use a spray antiseptic...if all is healing great....if anything appears to be worsening....then you will be better equipped to see that and you will need to determine any other steps needed....

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
Ideally, you should take your tortoise to a vet for a check over... I would usually start systemic antibiotics in this case, it is often better than waiting until infection sets in when dealing with dog bites and tortoises. That said, judging solely from the pictures (cannot be completely sure without physically examining your tortoise, obviously), it will probably be ok with topical treatment.

Some of the advice offered already is good....I would keep the tortoise slightly warmer than usual day and night, this will stimulate the immune system and speed the healing process. You could use a ceramic heat emitter to raise night temperatures. Or a tubular heater, or heat the room with an oil filled radiator or similar, whatever you want really.

I would consider changing the substrate at the moment, consider using newspaper or tiles, since its not ideal if soil keeps getting on that wound... its imperative it stays clean. Just for the first couple of weeks at least.

I would tape a moistened gauze swab soaked in 4% chlorhexidine over the wound - change this twice daily initially, for maybe 5-7 days. The idea is that the wet dressing will dry out, stick to the wound, then as you peel it off it will deride any bacteria/contamination etc away - these are called 'wet-to-dry' dressings.

You can then reduce the frequency of dressing changes to once daily. I would treat like this for at least 2 weeks and then see what it looks like and go from there.

If you struggle to tape dressings over the wound, the alternative would be to (twice daily) clean with 4% chlorhexidine solution, pat dry, then apply an antiseptic healing cream - I would suggest F10 barrier ointment OR flamazine (silver sulfadiazine) - don't know what is available in the USA.

Hope thats helpful!

Kind regards,
John

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of the advice you've been given is good stuff. There really is no 'correct' way. It's usually a matter of opinion. Here's what I would do if it were my tortoise.

I love your habitat! You've done a great job making a nice big area for the tortoise. I would go buy some plants in 6" pots and place them around inside the enclosure (still in the pots to keep them up and away from the tortoise). The tortoise might knock them over and eat the plant anyway, but maybe if you dig the pot down into the substrate it will give it more stability.

I would not cover the wound, but rather allow it to dry out. I might put Neosporin on it the first day, but nothing after that. Just let it dry out. Keeping the tortoise warm and quiet will help him get over the stress of the attack. I worry that a constant temp of 80-90 might be a little too much. I fell there should be a spot where he can cool down a bit if he wants too. Also, I would turn off the mist at night. In fact, (now this is MY opinion) I feel that tortoise is big enough now that he doesn't need the mist anymore.

You seem like you're a caring animal keeper, and you're doing great by your tortoise. Please keep us in the loop on how the tortoise is getting along.