I have done research, now I'm seeking advice and asking questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandi87

5 Year Member
At the moment I am researching and deciding on the species I want. I know for sure I want a land tortoise, I am currently interested in several of the smaller land species. My tortoise would need to be kept inside for the next year(of course he/she would be allowed some outdoor time). I want to mimic his/her natural environment as closely as possible during the time he/she will need to be kept indoors. I plan on getting a hatchling, within the next six months(should give me plenty of time to get his/her habitat set up). I am looking for advice and suggestions as I only want to provide the best for my little one(s)!

Questions: (I have been researching just can't seem to find the information I am looking for)

1.) What land tortoises do you all suggest??(adult size no bigger than 12 - 14 inches,also I'd like to have a/few tortoise(s) that is/are somewhat active, I have read that the hermanns tortoise is active but is a loner, I would like to have two)

2.) What type of starter indoor enclosure do you all suggest?
(I do not want to spend a lot of money on the enclosure because in one year I will be building the ultimate indoor and outdoor habitat, I will have a budget of 1,500 for each the indoor and outdoor enclosure).

As soon as I decide on the species of tortoise I will be getting I will definitely have more questions! Thanks so much everyone for your time and answers, they will definitely be appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Research, Advice and Questions!!

Since tortoises are not a species of animal that "herds," any tortoise you buy or adopt will want to be an only child. Tortoises don't do well in groups...or even (especially) pairs.

You would not be able to cage a leopard with another leopard, or a spider, eagle or rhino with another of their species. The same thing goes for tortoises. They are lone, territorial animals and WANT to live alone. Males will fight to chase another tortoise out of his territory. And, like a leopard/leopard fight, it could end up being a pretty bloody battle.

Brandi87

5 Year Member
RE: Research, Advice and Questions!!

emysemys said:
Since tortoises are not a species of animal that "herds," any tortoise you buy or adopt will want to be an only child. Tortoises don't do well in groups...or even (especially) pairs.

You would not be able to cage a leopard with another leopard, or a spider, eagle or rhino with another of their species. The same thing goes for tortoises. They are lone, territorial animals and WANT to live alone. Males will fight to chase another tortoise out of his territory. And, like a leopard/leopard fight, it could end up being a pretty bloody battle.

Thank you so much, an only child it is! Unfortunately I must have stumbled on some incorrect information(that's the reason I came here, I kept finding inconsistent answers for my questions, I came here looking for experience and knowledge!) What land tortoise would you suggest for a beginner?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Russians, hermanns and the Greeks all seem to be a good starter. If you have lots of outside room and either live where you don't have really cold winters or can afford to heat a large,outdoor enclosure and want a small herd of tortoises, the redfoots and the leopards can do fine together sometimes. However, they do get to the max size you listed and even larger. With that said, there is always the chance they won't get along and would have to be housed separate.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Where are you located, what are the temps? Also only one yearof indoor housing? You said you have done your research what species have you been researching or was it just Toetoises on general? I'm sure you have a few of the top of your head, what were you thinking? I know you want us to tell you or suggest, but maybe we can hear what you were thinking or wanting, and maybe help you narrow it down. You mention Herman's which is a good starting Toetoises, I'm sure you came across Russians and Greek Toetoises . Probably red footed and leopards too.

Brandi87

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The Russians, hermanns and the Greeks all seem to be a good starter. If you have lots of outside room and either live where you don't have really cold winters or can afford to heat a large,outdoor enclosure and want a small herd of tortoises, the redfoots and the leopards can do fine together sometimes. However, they do get to the max size you listed and even larger. With that said, there is always the chance they won't get along and would have to be housed separate.

Thank you so much, I saw that you mentioned the redfoots, does this also include the cherry head? My husband and I where looking at www.tortoisesupply.com last night and he really likes the cherry head torts( I do too, love their color!)

Millerlite said:
Where are you located, what are the temps? Also only one yearof indoor housing? You said you have done your research what species have you been researching or was it just Toetoises on general? I'm sure you have a few of the top of your head, what were you thinking? I know you want us to tell you or suggest, but maybe we can hear what you were thinking or wanting, and maybe help you narrow it down. You mention Herman's which is a good starting Toetoises, I'm sure you came across Russians and Greek Toetoises . Probably red footed and leopards too.

I am located in VA in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Now that I am thinking about it, I don't think it will be one full year of indoor housing. My plan is to get a tortoise after completing his/her indoor enclosure. It is very important to me that the indoor enclosure closely mimics the outdoor one with similar plants and terrain. Once the indoor enclosure is set up, I will monitor it to make sure temps and humidity to make sure they are good, I would also like to post pics and get everyone's advice...and finally once I am 100% sure everything is ready, I will order my little one!

My tort will spend about 90% of his/her time outside, the other 10% they will be indoors due to inclement weather(we get severe thunderstorms here with hail the size of golf balls and winds up to 70mph). During Winter my tort will be indoors, the winter weather here is unpredictable!(one day is in the low 60s and the next day its in the low teens with 6 inches of snow!)

Edited to add: I wanted to apologize for taking so long, yesterday after my first couple of posts the others didn't seem to go through. I figured it was due to me being new and having so many posts in such a short amount of time and waited to post a reply until today.

Brandi87

5 Year Member
I know ya'll see several post similar to mine. It happens because someone sees a turtle at the pet shop and wants one they think they are easy pets, throw them in a aquarium, put a little grocery store food & water and never touch them again. These assumptions on care for torts are the cause of so many being without a home or worse. I am not one of these people!

I understand that with my climate keeping my torts temps and humidity up will be a challenge, I understand that this will NOT in any way shape or form be easy, with that being said I will enjoy it every second of it including the challenge of getting everything right before I bring my tort home! I have already found an exotic vet, and set up an emergency vet fund($1000). I have checked state and local laws and started the process of buying things needed to build an indoor enclosure(I know this will not be cheap $1500 is the amount I have set aside, and I realize I may need more). I came to this forum looking for advice and experts to guide me as take the steps to owning a turtle, not to come here post something and never check it or reply again once I received an answer to my question. I came here with the hopes of a regular member on this forum and getting to know the people here and their torts.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
You sound like a very responsible pet owner Brandi. If you have a bigger budget, consider Star tortoises. They are beautiful, smaller sized torts, but a little on the pricey side. Some website say they aren't good for beginners, but you just need to keep their temperatures and humidity up as babies and introduce a variety of foods early (they can be picky eaters).

Brandi87

5 Year Member
Thank you! I have looked at the star, they are stunning. I am looking at a few of different torts right now, the hardest part seems to be the decision on which tort I want. I know I want a tort with personality . That being said I am considering the cherry head, red foot and hermanns.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
How much space can you devote to the indoor enclosure?

Welcome from the Tidewater of Virginia!

Brandi87

5 Year Member
I am able to provide 4ft wide by 6 foot long indoors. Thank you! I live in Southwest VA about 15 minutes from the NC state line!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you take the 4 x 6 and design some sight barriers it would be good for the indoor time for any of the smaller torts.

Brandi87

5 Year Member
Thank you will! Flintus thank you, I really like the red foots! With yalls help I have made my decision, I will be getting a red foot within the next 6 months. Prior to getting my tort I will be setting up his/her enclosure and growing a nice variety of weeds!!

Status
Not open for further replies.