Potential new tortoise owner with lots of questions

THDVM

I live in central Ohio and am considering the possibility of tortoise ownership. I am willing to build an enclosure with indoor and outdoor housing and would like any advice on providing the best habitat possible. I think I would like an older sulcata, one that someone can longer afford or no longer want to take care of. Would it be possible to keep a sulcata if I build a large indoor enclosure for the winter in ohio? Do you use concrete for the floors in the indoor enclosure? My husband and I were wondering if we could use in floor water heat instead of a heat mat in the indoor enclosure? Also, any good ideas for an easy to clean water area for both indoor and outdoor enclosures would be welcomed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, you can do what you have plan in Ohio. Do not use concrete floor, too cold and moist. I would lay a moisture barrier over it and then insulation and then wood floor. At least that is what I am doing for my leopards heated tort garage that does have a concert floor.
I looked into the in floor floor heat. The dangers of it is that it doesn't do good with flat surfaces laying on it. Because torts don't feel the heat from the bottom and the heated floor will build up a hotter heat then it is set for, your tort could get burnt and not know it. Also, that heat build up could short out the heating unit. It's too bad, because that is what I wanted to us too. I have a fully, wall, ceiling, soon floor insulated tort garage. I will be trying out the radiant baseboard electric heaters. As low as one as I can find to get the heat to start out as close to,them as possible. I will also,have heat lights for added heat if needed. I am also installing a ceiling fan for low speed circulation of the heat rising back to,the floor. It's pretty much what I did last year in our old place and it worked out good. They also had a separate heated hide with a radiant heat panel and a kane pig blanket set on a thermostats. The main area radiator heater was also on a thermostats. The good thing with a sully, they can take more of the winter cold as long as they have a place to go into, too warm up. They will even walk out into the snow. Other members have them that will do,this.
Btw, hello and welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hi and welcome! We seem to have a lot of Ohio members. Good luck with your plans for a sulcata. At least in central Ohio you have better weather than those of us up here by Lake Erie!