Horsfield Dave - troubles with food

Beau G Holdsworth

Just asking, I have to look after sometimes what my 6-yr old brother got for christmas (horsfield tortoise) along with my mum. It seems to be on hunger strike. Have tried it with the following:

1. Banana
  2. Cucumber
  3. Lettuce
Yes, before anyone asks he is under a UV lamp for 12 hours a day (except - sometimes night instead of day) and has two compartments in his little tabletop thingie. How do we combat this hunger strike? His name is Dave - (my brother calls him Davey-Boy) - and is 2 years old. How would anyone recommend I feed it for it to ACTUALLY eat.

Is this feeding adequate?:

Daveyboy's food pot - 2017-01-14 at 15.24.46.jpeg

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone is able to help with this, note I am giving it a week with the poll and you can email me @:
[email protected]
or just reply to this thread at any time. Then there is below a picture of Davey-Boy.

~Many Thanks
Beau G Holdsworth

Here is a picture of Davey-Boy:

DaveyBoy whilst in soaking - 2017-01-14 at 15.21.50.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Why are you keeping the lights on at night sometimes? They need light during the day, and darkness at night. They also need to be able to heat up during the day - what is your basking temperature? A tortoise that is too cold, will not eat. That feeding is far from adequate. Read the Russian tortoise care sheet. That has food and heating and lighting recommendations.

Beau G Holdsworth

Surely though if it needs light for 12 hours, you may as well but it on in night if it is sleeping. The reason it is on at night is because it sleeps through the day. Does that change anything?

Beau G Holdsworth

Also i recall someone saying banana is GOOD. Have you got a website to back the fact up that it isn't??

Beau G Holdsworth

Ok, here it is. Although it is moved from my Mum's to my Dad's every other weekend. Had this since christmas eve, (bought it and hid from brother)

Picture Below:
WhatsApp Image 2017-01-14 at 15.43.59.jpeg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Surely though if it needs light for 12 hours, you may as well but it on in night if it is sleeping. The reason it is on at night is because it sleeps through the day. Does that change anything?

Circadian rhythms are important to the health of pretty much everything. Lights should be consistent. Internal cues for day/night and season are hard to ignore for tortoises and can be problematic when they don't match external stimuli. You can read more here: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Biological_clocks.htm

Beau G Holdsworth

RosemaryDW, if it needs darkness at night and light at day. What do i do if it sleeps at day. Because seriously, if i let it it sleeps all day & everyday.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Also i recall someone saying banana is GOOD. Have you got a website to back the fact up that it isn't??

Yes, THIS website! :) Your Russian's system isn't designed for fruit; feeding it can cause problems in the digestive system. Please take a look at our caresheets. They are prepared by members with many years of experience raising heathy tortoises.

Lots of information on tortoisekeeping that you find on the internet or in petstores is out of date, unfortunately.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
RosemaryDW, if it needs darkness at night and light at day. What do i do if it sleeps at day. Because seriously, if i let it it sleeps all day & everyday.

If it is sleeping all day, something is potentially wrong. You need to tell us more so we can help. How hot is your basking spot? How cold is your lowest temperature overnight?

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

It could mean it's totally normal (in natural conditions, they just don't move around all the time.) It could also indicate a problem with setup, which is why we asked for pictures of the setup. Here is a nice piece on horsefields not being active during the day: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/why-does-my-russian-tortoise-stay-buried.59575/

Last edited:

Beau G Holdsworth

How would I go about measureing that? It is at room temperature with the lamp on. Don't know what lamp it is as it does not say on it.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
How would I go about measureing that? It is at room temperature with the lamp on. Don't know what lamp it is as it does not say on it.

The lamp will not tell you the temperature. You need a thermometer. A good thermometer is probably the most essential piece of equipment in tortoise care. If you have one in your house you trust, take it and put it under your basking light on the substrate and measure the temperature.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Beau, I can see you are interested in doing right by your tortoise, which is great. There is a lot to learn; it was a lot for me, anyway!

Since there is so much new information, I really encourage you to start with the care sheet on adult Russians; it has everything you need to understand how and what to check.

Also get us a picture of your setup and we can start to help you better from there.

Edited to say thanks for the picture!