Horsefield tortie looks sad

Pebbleandstone

Hi everyone

Im new here, so hoping to be posting in the correct place.

Can anyone tell me why pebble has white around his eyes? He looks so sad.

image1.JPG

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
What kind of lightning do you have in his enclosure?? If you have a coiled bulb take it out and swap it with a strip uv bulb or a mercury vapor bulb. Coiled bulbs are bad for tortoises eyes. Are you doing daily soaks?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
That is not a Horsefield tortoise. That is a Leopard tortoise. The white around his eyes is because he is too dry, not because he is sad. Can you post photos of his enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your leopard tortoise's eyes look like that because he's being kept in an environment that is too dry and too hot. Please read the links shown above.

Pebbleandstone

HI guys !!! Thanks so much for all the responses. Looks like i have been telling everyone i have a horsefield tortoise!! oops :)

So im sending you pics of the enclosure and the light.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A close up of the babies is in order. It looks to me as if you have a leopard (on the left) and a sulcata (on the right).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's just no way you can provide the humidity they need while they're living in that open container. They need to be in something you can close up. If you have them in a large tub, you can cover it in order to keep the warm, moist air inside (80% humidity is what you strive for), and keep the cooler air from the house out.

In the wild, baby tortoises don't live out in the open like that. They are down in burrows (where the earth is moist) or under bushes.

Pebbleandstone

There's just no way you can provide the humidity they need while they're living in that open container. They need to be in something you can close up. If you have them in a large tub, you can cover it in order to keep the warm, moist air inside (80% humidity is what you strive for), and keep the cooler air from the house out.

In the wild, baby tortoises don't live out in the open like that. They are down in burrows (where the earth is moist) or under bushes.

So is this in summer and winter, cos its getting really cold here now. Could this be the cause of the white around the eyes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said above, the white around the eyes is because he's being kept too dry. He needs to be in a closed container with moist substrate and covered to keep the moist air inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They different?????????????????? They look the same!!! What does that mean?

That means that the leopard tortoise will grow to be about 20lbs and the sulcata tortoise will grow to be about 150lbs. And he gets that big in about 10 or 15 years.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Yes they should always be in those conditions. At least while they are young