Horsefield tortie looks sad

Souptugo

5 Year Member
So these 2 wont be able to mate?? They seem to be getting on together now.

At this age you cannot tell if one is a male or female so mating? What if they are both female or both males? Are they even the same species? Close up shots of both might help.

Also please refer to enclosures section and set up your habitat properly.

Those little stones are a nightmare waiting to happen. They will eat them and get impacted. Get rid of them right away. Use coco coir or orchid bark.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Yeah, post a close up pictures of your babies if you can.

Pebbleandstone

At this age you cannot tell if one is a male or female so mating? What if they are both female or both males? Are they even the same species? Close up shots of both might help.

Also please refer to enclosures section and set up your habitat properly.

Those little stones are a nightmare waiting to happen. They will eat them and get impacted. Get rid of them right away. Use coco coir or orchid bark.

One is a leopard and the other is a sucuta.

I dont understand, i have googled enclosures, and they all open. i thought they needed to be closed.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
OK. Please refer to the species specific sections for proper set up of the enclosures. As babies, they need high humidity for their shells to develop properly. An open enclosure cannot do this. You can have an open one but you need a substrate that can hold the humidity. Those little stones won't do anything but cause them harm.

Different species require different care.

The spot lamp you have DOES NOT provide proper UVB radiation. UVB is required to metabolize calcium and incorporate it into their bones and shells.

Where do you live? Are you prepare to raise a 200 lb sulcata? If not, I would be worried. They grow fast.

Pebbleandstone

OK. Please refer to the species specific sections for proper set up of the enclosures. As babies, they need high humidity for their shells to develop properly. An open enclosure cannot do this. You can have an open one but you need a substrate that can hold the humidity. Those little stones won't do anything but cause them harm.

Different species require different care.

The spot lamp you have DOES NOT provide proper UVB radiation. UVB is required to metabolize calcium and incorporate it into their bones and shells.

Where do you live? Are you prepare to raise a 200 lb sulcata? If not, I would be worried. They grow fast.

m sorry, im new to all of this. What light do i need then? should i just buy a fish tank and put the leopard in there? i live in South Africa

Souptugo

5 Year Member
m sorry, im new to all of this. What light do i need then? should i just buy a fish tank and put the leopard in there? i live in South Africa

Once again please refer to the ENCLOSURE and Species specific sections. There is much more to cover than just lighting. Please go over there first and if you still have questions, come back.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello @Pebbleandstone,

is the infrarot light the only light you have for your torts ? That is not enough !
They need a basking spot ( heat lamp ) for the day and a UVB lamp to get UVB rays, or soon their shells will get soft and they will be sick. And for the night you need a CHE to have warmth but no light.
Sulcata tortoises and leopard tortoises need a high level of humidity and a high level of warmth. In your enclosure it is much too cold and much to dry for baby torts. If you don`t change your enclosure to a closed chamber as soon as possible, your torts will get sick.

Pebbleandstone

Hello @Pebbleandstone,

is the infrarot light the only light you have for your torts ? That is not enough !
They need a basking spot ( heat lamp ) for the day and a UVB lamp to get UVB rays, or soon their shells will get soft and they will be sick. And for the night you need a CHE to have warmth but no light.
Sulcata tortoises and leopard tortoises need a high level of humidity and a high level of warmth. In your enclosure it is much too cold and much to dry for baby torts. If you don`t change your enclosure to a closed chamber as soon as possible, your torts will get sick.

Thank you so so much for your positive feedback first things first, i need to get an enclosure. The red lamp i have is a heating lamp? No?? So basically you saying i need 3 lamps?

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Well you will need daytime HEAT + UVB and night time heat. However you get that combination is fine. You can get everything in one with a Mercury Vapor Bulb (it releases UVB for about 5-6 months along with providing heat). Since at night, you need a heat source with no light (brightness) so your tortoise can sleep, you will need a ceramic heat emitter (which provides radiant heat without a bulb). If that makes sense.