Horsefield tortoise eyes

Kerrie1

hey all , I bought a tortoise that is 11/2 when u got him home I noticed his eyes have a white film over them both and I can't see his eyes can anyone tell me why or what this is.
Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Kerrie, do you know what type of light was previously used? Some that are still commonly used and sold cause blindness.
Is he a young tortoise? Can you tell if he can actually see?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Zeropilot could be right. A pet store would have wanted to get rid of it, I'm sorry to say:(. How about trying some movements to in front of your tort to check? Could you post some pics?

Wishes for the best of luck and a warm welcome to the forum.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It could also be dehydrated with swollen eyes. Give it a soak with 50% warm water and 50% carrot baby food and turn your temps up a few degrees.

Post some pictures so we can see

Kerrie1

Hi thank you all for the replies the the reptile shop said he was 1&1/2 and there was a strip light and a basking lamp. I've been bathing it as I heard it could be dyhidrated but I haven't use the the carrot baby food so I will do that He has eaten a little Khal but haven't seen him drink and he's not very active.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerrie1

image.jpg
Zeropilot c84ould be right. A pet store would have wanted to get rid of it, I'm sorry to say:(. How about trying some movements to in front of your tort to check? Could you post some pics?

Wishes for the best of luck and a warm welcome to the forum.
thank you for your reply I really hope the reptile shop didn't knowingly sell me a poorly tort I've posted a pic below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kerrie, and welcome to the Forum!

You should take that baby back to the shop. They sold you a very sick little tortoise. He doesn't have a white film over his eyes, they are swollen shut. He hasn't been eating or healthy for a long time.

If you want to try to get him back to health, we can probably give you some pointers, but in my opinion, he should go back to the place you got him from.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

You should take that baby back to the shop. They sold you a very sick little tortoise. He doesn't have a white film over his eyes, they are swollen shut. He hasn't been eating or healthy for a long time.

If you want to try to get him back to health, we can probably give you some pointers, but in my opinion, he should go back to the place you got him from.
Yvonne do you mean to return it to them for the money Kerrie paid? What if the pet store refuses?

Kerrie1

Hi Yvonne I do think it's not very well we are all a bit sad about it really and would like to help it but if it's really sick maybe it will need to go back thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it went at the reptile shop.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am very sorry to have to welcome you to Tortoise forum in this situation.
The poor little thing is clearly very sick and the pet shop have been extremely irresponsible and cruel to both you and the tortoise. It is very hard for you I'm sure.
Hope the shop are cooperative and that things work out for the best.

Kerrie1

I am very sorry to have to welcome you to Tortoise forum in this situation.
The poor little thing is clearly very sick and the pet shop have been extremely irresponsible and cruel to both you and the tortoise. It is very hard for you I'm sure.
Hope the shop are cooperative and that things work out for the best.
Well I don't know what to say other than very disappointed!!! and angry at the same time. Thanks for the reply.

Kerrie1

I would like to say thank u to everyone who has gone out there way to help and share advice on my poorly tort u all have been very kind and I'll update u all with how it went at the pet shop tomorrow. Thanks again.

Kerrie1

Hi just wanted to up date u , I have been to the pet shop and they were very apologetic and said it shouldn't of been sold to me and offer to replace it with another one. We now have a red footed tort that is beautiful and healthy. I would like to no what's the best lighting for her ?? Coz I want it will the best environment as possible I have a 60w basking light and a uvb bulb and reflector is this ok ?