High Yellow Radiated?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
Sorry, can't agree with that statement Kelly. The adult leopards I have (28 years) have no evidence fading. I have seen multiple adult Radiateds with amazing patterns still. So it comes down to breeding. If you are trying to produce a certain color, you need to have those in your colony. Just that simple. Gonna cost unfortunately.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sorry, can't agree with that statement Kelly. The adult leopards I have (28 years) have no evidence fading. I have seen multiple adult Radiateds with amazing patterns still. So it comes down to breeding. If you are trying to produce a certain color, you need to have those in your colony. Just that simple. Gonna cost unfortunately.
Eventually they will though. Not immediately. Your right too though they all won't lose there pattern. But will fade to some degree in many decades.

Like these specimens. Of course they're very old indeed.
Platynota at Taipei zoo.
image.jpg

Faded older radiata. They still Have some radiations and pattern. Just not vibrant like the younger, juvenile and even young adults.
image.jpg

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
That photo looked to be an asian tortoise. Very yellow with thick banding. There are almost no tortoises in the U.S. With those markings. Close but not that extreme.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That photo looked to be an asian tortoise. Very yellow with thick banding. There are almost no tortoises in the U.S. With those markings. Close but not that extreme.
Of course these are probably well over 60-80 years old. Which was my initial point of fading. I personally like the ancient look. But I'm kinda biased on radiata pricing anyways. I like the ugly ones :) ha

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413229223.620563.jpg
I would consider this a nice yellow Radiated. Especially for the U.S.

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Spectacular evidence. They do fade though. None the less a good looking specimen. Is the age known of tank?
Good question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer although I suppose we could speculate. He definitely looks to be at least 30 or 40, probably older than that though if I had to bet on it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Y
He's a boy. You can kind of see in the first and 3rd picture there's a male gender symbol painted towards his rear end, the same as in my avatar for the forum.
eah I see it now. Ha wasn't looking at the paint globs. Looking at that bowling ball wild caught smooth awesome shell.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Again. Any topic or thread may become very informative and educational.

Thanks.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
I have seen similar and better just like him in person as well. A side by side comparison is best, they really do stand out faded or not. The bright yellow ones remain more yellow then the normal ones no matter what level of fading. Same can be said for Burmese, some are actually much lighter then others almost brown. Just like anything age shows, but I would still want the yellow faded over the dark on the rads!

Evan, she looks great! I think this unsexed is going to come out like her twin!

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
I found myself appreciate more of perfect smooth shell than anything else. High yellow with smooth, high dome shell is in my view the best of radiata. But any with pyramiding loses the charm instantly.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
So when color and pattern fade with aging, shell seems to be more smooth and I appreciate it even more.

jerryl

All of you do realize they will look nothing like this when very old? To each is own but the extreme pattern of any star, leopard, pancake, radiata or spider tortoise will all end up faded out when mature and aged. Yes this may be many many years and decades down the line. But is it worth it?

My answer is yes it is worth.. sometime u have to put 2x effort to wins a woman heart coz thrs hundred or mayb thousand of men wanting to get her.
But after decades , no matter how pretty was the girl , her appearance might not be the same. We cant simply dump our gf or wife and look for a younger and pretty ones rite
?Haha

Appearance might change , but not the heart and thought.At least we had our moments.

No matter how they changed into , i still love them. Same goes to my wife :D