hi from indiana

Luvfasthounds

Hello,
I hope to be a tortoise owner in the future. I joined the forum to gather information about types of tortoises, experiences people have had with them, habitats especially in cold climates and where to buy one. I am really uncertain about having a pet delivered via fedex. I have asked around locally to adopt a tortoise but nobody has any, and it does seem quite fun to start with a hatchling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. There are many shipped next day fedex. If purchasing from a reputable breeder, basically a member of this forum, they will know how to ship it safely and with proper heat or cooling packs if needed. Other than rescuing one from Craigslist or a tortoise rescue, the best place is a forum member.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
NOT fun starting with a hatchling. They have special needs. Closed chamber, high humidity, heat above 80 everywhere at ALL times(except basking spot of 100), warm baths for 30 minutes daily, ect. If you don't do it all right they can and do die. Young adults are more forgiving of minor beginner mistakes....

If you really want a baby do NOT get a pair. Turtles are solitaty. Don't need friends. Other tortoises are competition for territory and food. Do your research here on closed chambers before you order your tortoise.

Choose what type you want by the qualities you want to see... large vs small, digger vs non digger, outgoing vs shy, rainforest type vs desert(different temp requirements), ect...

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! I will agree that starting with a hatching is perhaps not the best choice for a new owner. I will leave it to owners from cold climates as to what kinds of tortoises might work well in your locale.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I only know the two that I have. Leopard tortoises seem more shy at first, non diggers and require the higher normal temps.

Burmese black mountain tortoises are non shy, slight diggers, and require lower temps.

There are many other types that you may like. I hear Russians are ornery escape artists.... sulcatas friendly but diggers. Box turtles are friendly and less territorial so you could have lots in one large area.

Luvfasthounds

I expect the tortoise to be a digger, not a problem.
I have read cypress mulch is a good bedding, true?
Also has anyone heard of Uncle Bill's pet supply around fort Wayne area? Seems to be the closest place to purchase a tortoise.

Luvfasthounds

Got the shack built, I know I have to figure something out with the floor. I am almost ready to get my tortoise, so excited!

Attachments

• 14957526493351551860376.jpg
    14957526493351551860376.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7