Hi all! Mom of a Russian owner here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytimom

5 Year Member
Hey there!
We are first time tortoise owners and I am so glad I found this forum!
Ted, our Russian was given to us so we don't know his age. After tax season he is going in for a check up at the vet.
I am trying to socialize him. We have a beagle who really wants to play with him, play=chew toy. The dog got a hold of him once and took a divot out of his shell.
I would love to hear from other Russian owners about food and socialization.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi mytimom:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Russians are great little tortoises. I'm so glad you've learned (albeit the hard way) not to let your dog be alone with the tortoise. It could have been much worse.

mytimom

5 Year Member
You can call me Mom, or Leah... I will answer to both.
We live in Duluth, MN. So pretty chilly yet up here.
Ted is in semi hibernation I guess. Hopefully he will perk up soon!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome. What exactly do you mean by semi-hibernation?

Jessie

5 Year Member
Hey I'm from Cloquet!!! I too own a Russian. Don't you love em? They are awesome little guys. And for the socializing thing, if he is really shy right now he is most likely just adjusting. Give him time, he will come around. Btw a good vet for ur guy is grand ave veterinary clinic. :)

mytimom

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome. What exactly do you mean by semi-hibernation?

He isn't eating much or is very active. He is hiding under his "bridge" in the warm part of his enclosure. We have been trying different foods to get him to eat. He enjoyed part of a tomato, a little kale and I think tomorrow we are going to try an apple slice.

mytimom

5 Year Member
Jessie said:
Hey I'm from Cloquet!!! I too own a Russian. Don't you love em? They are awesome little guys. And for the socializing thing, if he is really shy right now he is most likely just adjusting. Give him time, he will come around. Btw a good vet for ur guy is grand ave veterinary clinic. :)

Thanks for the heads up! We have had him for about a year. I take a little time before his bath to have him sit on either my or my son's lap to see if that helps.

mytimom

5 Year Member
Does anyone trim nails? Ted's are pretty long. Or is there some other way to get them shorter?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I too have a Russian. His name is Ezek (short for ezekiel). He is really great, I've grown quite attached to him in the past 4 months of being his owner. He is quite the acrobat and seems to think there is nothing he cannot climb over (even if he has to try for 5-10 minutes). He is also VERY activities and will run WILD when I put him in my yard.
When I got him from the pet shop the owner told me he is so easy and its like nothing to care for. They fed him only red leaf lettuce. So, the first month (until finding this forum) I fed him romaine and red leaf, unfortunately. He did love it bit he was not receiving the proper nutrients. I now will mix spring mix, sometimes with escarole, endive, sometimes green leaf. Occasionally (once a month or so), I have heard it is good for his beak to give a carrot to munch on. Anyways, thats my spill! This is a VERY helpful and inspiring forum. Good luck.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Ours spend quite a bit of time under the bridge or buried in substrate. I'm coming to accept that this is just who they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.