Unexpected Russian tortious owner

Sam12810

Hi I'm Samantha and I live in Idaho. Not to long ago my neighbor found a Russian tortoise. After exhausting every attempt to find an owner we decided to keep him. Jump forward a month later and another neighbor finds another again no luck finding and am owner. They are getting along really well the male is Oogway and we can't decide a name for the female. We're still very much in a learning phase. So any helpful tips from seasoned Russian owners would be so helpful. We are going to build a table here shortly so they have much more room. Oogway is the one with the bandaid he had a chip on his shell that we have been doctoring.

1475860025019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam12810

He's got quite a personality. He likes to fall asleep in really odd positions.

Attachments

• 1475860433065.jpg
    1475860433065.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 29

Texas Scott

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hi Samatha - Welcome to the forums. You came to the right place!

First - Get them separated as soon as possible (like now). Russian and most torts to do not work in pairs for a variety of reasons. Read the thread below for more info! Not to mention you have no idea what condition they are in (illness)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Second - Check out the care sheet for Russians. Make this your go to!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Samantha, and welcome to the Forum!

Because they're a pair, they might not do the actual 'fight' thing, but randy male russian tortoises just breed, breed, breed and pester a lone female until she stays hidden and stops eating. You may have some time until Spring to worry about this.

Sam12810

Thank you everyone! They have only been together under strict supervision. However they seem to get along pretty good. She follows him all over and they will snuggle up together and sleep. They both got a good bill of health from the vet. A couple small issues but they're all worked out now.

Sam12810

Is letting them wander my house a bad idea? They seem to enjoy the time out to wander. We have two dogs and I've read a lot of criticism on how people shouldn't even own a tortious if they have a dog. My pups have done wonderful with them. And they are never unsupervised for even a second if they are out. Actually my bulldog and Oogway like to sleep together as well. He was asleep also in this pic until the camera flashed.

Attachments

• 1475870255726.jpg
    1475870255726.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 19

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When your tort is wandering the house it is away from the heat, humidity and UVB that are essential for it to be healthy living indoors.

Safety is another concern. It is too easy to be distracted and end up stepping on your tort (we had one on TFO only yesterday) or the tort escaping. There's also a risk of your tort eating something it shouldn't or ingesting hair or dust-bunnies.

Finally dogs and tortoises do not mix. Even the best behaved make mistakes and treat tortoises as a chew toy (we've had those through TFO too) Again you only have to be distracted for a moment.

A tortoise is happiest, healthiest and safest in a good size, properly set up enclosure and should not roam your house.

I will also add that torts 'snuggling up' is more likely to be jostling for the best sleeping spot. Russians are expert mental bullies as well as physical. Your two will not be an exception.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks for all the info! Looks like we'll be building a special table to separate them permanently. And no more contact at all.
I know it is difficult to house to tortoises separately but it is best. Otherwise you will eventually lose one. What I don't understand is how somebody finds to Russian tortoises :) in Idaho! somebody must have let them go or they escaped.
Russian tortoises are a lot of fun, they have a ton of personality.

M

Maggie Cummings

And they are masters at escaping. I'd be willing to bet they live in a house or yard close to yours. Did you leave your name and number at all the Vets? The pet food stores? Telephone poles? Russians are Not native to Idaho and that means they belong to someone. They look in good shape, but really pay attention to what Yvonne says, she' a Russian expert....and welcome....

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Please do try to find the owners if you can. I had a tortoise that escaped, he was gone for three weeks. I was devastated. But people found her A couple blocks over. They saw the signs I put up in the neighborhood and they also sought on craigslist and Facebook.

Sam12810

And they are masters at escaping. I'd be willing to bet they live in a house or yard close to yours. Did you leave your name and number at all the Vets? The pet food stores? Telephone poles? Russians are Not native to Idaho and that means they belong to someone. They look in good shape, but really pay attention to what Yvonne says, she' a Russian expert....and welcome....

We posted everywhere and went through every social, paper, vet etc... with no luck:( the female had been on her own for a while according to the vet. She had some long nails and her front legs where beat up pretty bad. Luckily we found her before winter hit here. A couple people tried to claim her but couldn't prove that they had any prior set up or proof of ownership. We had a lot of people lie to try to get them but then would get no more responses when we asked for proof of ownership. All I want is the best for them. My husband is going to start their table next week. So they aren't in totes anymore. They are just like one of our children now.

M

Maggie Cummings

Good going! And remember, stay here and make friends, and get the best advice from anywhere. Most of the group are funny and friendly and you'll get all your questions answered and help that you'll need. We mean no disrespect to you, we simply want to help your tortoises live a good live and that you know how to properly take care of them. For instance, their insides must be 85 degrees or they can't digest food, so they won't eat. Russians don't eat grass, they're weed animals. They need UVB lights, hides to sleep in, water dish, a list of food and on and on. Welcome, and remember, there are NO stupid questions!!!

Sam12810

Good going! And remember, stay here and make friends, and get the best advice from anywhere. Most of the group are funny and friendly and you'll get all your questions answered and help that you'll need. We mean no disrespect to you, we simply want to help your tortoises live a good live and that you know how to properly take care of them. For instance, their insides must be 85 degrees or they can't digest food, so they won't eat. Russians don't eat grass, they're weed animals. They need UVB lights, hides to sleep in, water dish, a list of food and on and on. Welcome, and remember, there are NO stupid questions!!!

Thank you! They're in separate huge Rubbermaid totes right now(until the table gets built). I'm using the zoo-med lighting, reptocal for food, feeding them a mix of radicchio, kale, spring mix, collard greens. Yesterday I got a better water dish. And I'm using zoo-med coconut fiber as the subtrate(half the expandable fine and the other half coarse). They both have the half logs to hide in right now. Hope I'm on the right track.

M

Maggie Cummings

Right on track. Good job!!!!
Just make sure your bulbs are NEVER the spiral kind. They cause serious eye problems in tortoises.....
I had a yearling Sulcata blinded and a younger one serious eye problems.
You are doing good...I'm proud of you.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just remember to separate them. I'm glad you tried to find the rightful owners and that you screened out the idiots. Next summer when you build a large outdoor pen you could probably put them together as long as there's lots of sight barriers etc. I'm glad you found them before winter.