Help Please. (tortoise not responding)

Hi all.

Iv just come to bath turbo and I'm not sure if he's dead or hibernating, he's warm and his limbs are not stiff, but he doesn't respond when i move him, and his eyes are sunken. iv spoke to the vet who said put him under his basking light for a few hours and re asses, i don't feel I'm doing enough though, please help. all the temps are fine, he's been feeding and drinking, pooping and weeing, bathed regularly. this is heart breaking.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
At this point I would soak him but keep his head out of the water. Then put him back where it's warm and give him a day before calling it.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree, a nice long soak would be best now.
But make sure it isn't too hot under his basking lamp and don't leave him there for too long if he can't walk away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to hear this. If the eyes are sunken in, chances are he's gone. But try the above mentioned things to make sure.

Soaking and me not leaving his side is what is currently happening. Any ideas what could of caused this, we've been so carful, checking plants and food, temperatures and bathing. Have we done this?

So we've been to the vet, turbo has passed, she thinks probable congenital but post Mortom will confirm. We are heart broken. Thank you all for your kind words and help on our seemingly short little journey.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
So sorry to hear this .
RIP Turbo.
It sounds like you did nothing wrong, if it was started badly by the breeder or had some natural defect there was nothing you could have done.