Tortoise a no show!

scott123

Hi, I'm a new member to this community, I have a 4 year old hermanns tortoise. I did have him in a wooden vivarium but iv recently put him in a tortoise table and he never seems to come out of his hide I think iv seen him twice in 6 weeks, he eats but only when I put him in front of his food. I took him to the vets who checked him over and said everything is fine. The only thing I can think of is it could be the bulb I now use in my tortoise table? I was using a separate bulb for his uvb and another for his basking, but iv bought a all in one bulb from a highly recommended website, any help on how to get him active again would be great. Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi Scott

If your tort is inactive then it is most likely too cold.

What temperature do you have in the following places? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

It could also be a problem with the UVB lamp. The compact CFL type that look like a low energy light bulb sometimes hurt tort eyes and they hide away because of it. What do you use for UVB?

Pictures of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you. I find it easiest to post pictures from the android or ios app.

Have you read the TFO care sheets for Hermann's? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Scott!

After you've made sure he's warm enough, it may turn out to just be he's not happy having been taken out of his home territory. It takes them a while to adjust to living in a new space.

scott123

Hi thanks ks for your reply, I have his basking area around 90F and the cool side is room temperature, could you recommend the bulbs that would be better for him? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1489342969615804017969.jpg
    1489342969615804017969.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

scott123

Welcome to the Forum, Scott!

After you've made sure he's warm enough, it may turn out to just be he's not happy having been taken out of his home territory. It takes them a while to adjust to living in a new space.
I did think that but it's been a good few weeks since he's been out, and when I do get him out he just goes straight back in his hide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is my first choice for the desert species:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

And for the forest type I have these hanging over the shelf of plants to offer diffused lighting:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

That enclosure is far too dry for a start. Your tort needs an earth-like substrate that you can tip water into to keep it damp and this helps to raise humidity. Coco coir is cheap and widely available. Fine grade orchid bark is very popular too.

Please read those links I gave you. You have clearly been given outdated information about what your tort needs to be healthy and happy.

What type of bulb is that? What is the temperature directly under it?

How big/old is your tort?

scott123

Hi

That enclosure is far too dry for a start. Your tort needs an earth-like substrate that you can tip water into to keep it damp and this helps to raise humidity. Coco coir is cheap and widely available. Fine grade orchid bark is very popular too.

Please read those links I gave you. You have clearly been given outdated information about what your tort needs to be healthy and happy.

What type of bulb is that? What is the temperature directly under it?

How big/old is your tort?
He's around 13cm and 4 years old.. I'll get a picture of the bulb iv got in there. A picture of your enclosure would be great for me to see.

scott123

This is this bulb..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170312-184046.png
    Screenshot_20170312-184046.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Great. That is an MVB. Now you need to tell us those temperatures. Directly under the basking lamp is particularly important.

Temperatures are best measured with a digital gun type thermometer like this

My enclosure would be no use to you, my tort has the run of my entire garden, but there are plenty in the enclosures forum.

What floor size is your table? It looks a bit small for a 13cm/4" tortoise

scott123

That isn't warm enough. It needs to be 95-100F directly under the bulb. You change the temperature by moving the bulb up or down. In this case down. You might need a higher wattage bulb[/QUOTE
Tell me what I need to do/get to get my table up to scratch please :)