HELP!! (baby won't eat, just sleeps)

Jordan palmer

My baby horse field tourt won't eat and always sleeps, she moves but keeps her eyes closed all the time, if I put her in one position she will not move unless I touch her , she is in a tourt table with her heated end at ruffly 90-95f please help what should I do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jordan, and welcome to the Forum!

Nine times out of 10, when we read problems such as yours, it's because the baby tortoise isn't set up properly. You need to read biochemnerd's thread on caring for baby Russian tortoises, and make any adjustments and tweaks to the way you're caring for your baby. You can find it here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

In the meantime, while you're fixing your habitat, soak the baby in warm water daily for about a half hour each time. You can also add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water.

Jordan palmer

okay so I have read it but what sort of bedding should I use, I am now using wood chips is this good or bad?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of wood chips? If they are orchid bark or ones made for torts but not cedar they are probably okay. I would also read Toms care sheet under the Russian section. Humidity is important for young ones.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For babies I use orchid bark. I buy it at Orchard Supply Hardware (A California based store), but I think you can find it a plant nurseries. It comes in different sizes (the kibble in the bag, not the size bag), and I buy the smallest size, as it's easier for babies to walk on. Orchid bark is pure, with no additives, and it doesn't turn sour when you keep it moist.

Wood chips are ok, unless they're cedar or pine, just a little hard for babies to walk on.

Magilla504

To keep humidity up you need to keep moisture in.
Some folks on here buy small green houses or engineer a little green house out of plastic sheeting. Just be careful because light fixtures, hear and plastics do not mix well if not properly spaced apart and secured.

The way I do it is to build a closed enclosure with the same materials I would use to build the rest of my tort table. In my case, wood.I like to use large sections of plexiglass for sliding doors for my enclosures for viewing and easy access. Just make sure if you use wood to seal it or protect it from moisture so that you do not have mold issues.
It is so much easier when your torts table or set up is enclosed or else you spend a lot of extra time spray/misting or adding water.
I have used both open enclosures and now I stick to closed enclosures. It makes keeps the humidity a lot more stable and you won't lose your moisture as fast

Magilla504

Jordan,
until you can create some sort of top for it keep a spray bottle handy. Spray the substrate and mix the water in until it's well saturated. You can buy a new clean bottle at a store like walmart, target etc. For a dollar or two. You may need to do it a few times a day and can become time consuming

I usually keep a watering can than allows more water to come out at once but my enclosure is water proof. It's easier than a spray bottle

Goodluck

Magilla504

Read through the link Yvonne left at the top of the thread. In the meantime get your humidity and temps right. If you have only had the little one a few days than don't worry toooo much. If your set up gets stable than just be patient. It's not uncommon for tortoises to take a few days or more than a week to adjust to their new home. Almost all of my Russians have taken atleast three days to settle in. One rescue I got had taken well over a week before she would eat normally and show normal behaviors.

I would take Yvonne's advice and read that care sheet and maybe even send biochemnerd a personal message to she what she suggests.

Just stay patient and do what you can in the meantime

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just really don't understand why my tourt won't open her eyes and won't eat

I told you in my previous post how to get the baby's eyes open: Soak the baby daily in warm water for at least 20 minutes each time. Add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the soaking water. Keep the baby warm.

Your baby won't (read CAN'T) open its eyes because you are not giving it the environment it needs to be healthy. Read the care sheet I linked for you and set your baby up accordingly.