Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I hope you find one soon!

Elohi(Earth)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yes I have seen that. I did find one place called Randy's Turtle rescue where they rescue turtles form the highway. I contacted them and I'm waiting for a reply.

I would not adopt from here. A quick google search has shown they are not licensed wildlife rehabbers or anything like that. While "Randy" is doing so with noble intentions, he is illegally removing turtles from their native habitat. He is not a non-profit organization (legally speaking) nor is he an actual rescue.

Avery Kays

PA
Seriously? Wow. Do you know of anyone who has an unwanted boxie?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Look on Craigslist and petfinder. You might be surprised what turns up. Be open to a tortoise if that's what falls into your lap first.

Because, as heart breaking as it is to release it, having it not survive the winter is so much worse.

There are rescues that have unreleasable animals available. Tell us what state you're in or google it yourself. For some, you need a license to have a box turtle. Russian tortoises are almost as good and easier to feed in the winter.

Stay on the list. Don't go away. We'll help you find another. In the meantime, do all the research you can on care.

I particularly like Tess Cook's online free care book. Joe Heinen also has a good website.

Avery Kays

PA
I would love to take care of another turtle but I don't know how to. The main question I have is about their living space. If I do get a tortoise or something larger, will a 5 by 8 space be big enough?

Avery Kays

PA
Look on Craigslist and petfinder. You might be surprised what turns up. Be open to a tortoise if that's what falls into your lap first.

Because, as heart breaking as it is to release it, having it not survive the winter is so much worse.

There are rescues that have unreleasable animals available. Tell us what state you're in or google it yourself. For some, you need a license to have a box turtle. Russian tortoises are almost as good and easier to feed in the winter.

Stay on the list. Don't go away. We'll help you find another. In the meantime, do all the research you can on care.

I particularly like Tess Cook's online free care book. Joe Heinen also has a good website.
I am very interested in a red slider. I was wondering if they are more difficult to take care of than a box.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Different thread? totally different care.

Once you get the tank set up with the right filter, it's not a big deal to take care of aquatic turtles. Unless/until you do, it's pretty awful. They need filtration far beyond what the size of the tank would indicate. And a large tank or tub with plenty if room to swim, and a basking spot.

There are so many res in need of homes that rescues turn them away. It would be great if you got one. You might even be able to make an outdoor pond.

Avery Kays

PA
Sounds fun but it sounds like a lot of work. I might just stick with a boxie.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
If you want easy, a tortoise from the testudo family is easier than boxies (IMHO). Try a Russian, Hermann's, Greek, or Marginated tortoise.

Avery Kays

PA
Those all sound like cool turtles. What about a painted turtle?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I understand I have offend you all but just so you know, I just set my turtle free back to his original home. I very happy to see him happy.
I am never offended by someone who does something for the reasons you did them. If you were running through the forrest killing them or taking them to sell on craigslist, I would be offended. You took it because you like them, something we are all guilty of (liking turtles). Just understand what you are doing and start studying them and you will get as much from that as you will from having one and then, by the time you get one, you will know what to do and how to care for it. A turtle is not like a dog or cat. They rely much more on instinct to survive. That being so, even a captive bred animal knows what to do to survive and if the things they need to do so are not present, it is much harder to get them to 'learn" how to survive. much easier when you start with a baby. I have babies that are captive bred that won't have anything to do with me and I have adults caught from the wild that I have rescued from poor care that eat out of my hand, so it is really up to the individual turtle.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Where in PA are you Avery? I used to live in Emmaus and work in Breiningsville. In the Allentown area. I have a friend who works in an animal shelter in Allentown. I am not sure which one.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I don't think anyone was offended- I certainly wasn't. Alarmed or concerned and used to meeting resistance when offering this advice, but not offended. I am very proud of you. You did a hard and good thing, putting the welfare of the animal first, even when it meant so much to you. That's why we're willing to help you now.

Avery Kays

PA
I don't think anyone was offended- I certainly wasn't. Alarmed or concerned and used to meeting resistance when offering this advice, but not offended. I am very proud of you. You did a hard and good thing, putting the welfare of the animal first, even when it meant so much to you. That's why we're willing to help you now.
Thank you so much. But I don't think I'm in a good finical position to own a turtle. Maybe in a few years I will be able to but right now I will focus on my school work and other things.

Avery Kays

PA
I just want to thank everyone for their support and help. I'm a little sad but I'll get over it. I still love turtles. :<3::tort:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I was silently keeping an eye on this yesterday since I was like oh no oh no let him go free, so i'm glad you did make that decision because it is right. I feel for you since I got Franklin in the midst of severe depression, it got so bad my parents had a mini intervention type thing when I refused to get out of bed one morning. I looked at them near the end tears in my eyes "can I have a tortoise?" no idea where it came from, it was my first time thinking about having one, but they said "we'll think about it" the next few weeks were full of research and statements of facts about them to my parents. They still never said "yes", but one day after work I said I was going to get franklin's house (he had his mane before even coming home). So I had it set up for a week or so when I went out saying "we're going to get Franklin today" no ne said anything until I got a call on the way home "you better not have!" well that afternoon my family got to meet Franklin, and I began to have a reason to wake up, he needed me to make it "daytime" wih his lights, I had to feed him, I got to pick him up sometimes and realize he was another living being. Now I have "conversations" with him and he stares so I make faces back. So I know where you're coming from with depression, you'd have been more depressed if the one you caught died (and probably would have from what people here said). I'd suggest a Russian for sure, that's what my Franklin is, he's decently easy to care for, you can find them at pet stores and breeders easily, but also craigslist, and many people are on craigslist with Russian's and relatively you pay around 100 or so but they usually give you the enclosures and lights and stuff too. And Russians have such personality and interact with you a lot, I don't know about boxies seeing as I don't own one. But if you are set on a boxie, i'd avoid craigslist because how are you to know whoever didn't just go out and pick one up to make some money.
Best of luck.