Hello all

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
There must me other animals that you can get to help you. I know about depression. I had a very bad time a few years ago. At that time I gave away all my turtles because I was not doing the best I could for them. When I was better I got mine from a rescue or from friends. It would have depressed me even more to think that I prevented one from going home. Sorry.

Avery Kays

PA
It's okay. The reason I got the turtle was to help with my depression. I can't afford any animals at all. If you happen to know someone who has a male box turtle who doesn't want it anymore, please have them send it to me. I would be very grateful.

Avery Kays

PA
Hi guys. Do you happen to know anyone with a boxie that doesn't need it anymore?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I get wanting animals for depression, but (to me) it'd be much more depressing to keep him and watch him slowly die than to let him go. Planning for a new one is also great "therapy" to tide you over until you find a captive bred one. Please make sure you sterilize everything between turtles.

Avery Kays

PA
Do you know any breeders that only cost 20 dollars or any adoption areas that are cheaper?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Check your local Craigslist. You should also check your local wildlife laws about what species are legal to keep in PA. Be careful of "adopting" a native species off Craigslist. Some people will also be selling wildcaught turtles to make a quick buck, and you want to avoid that.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a breeder that charges less than $50-$80 for even a hatchling box turtle. An adult will usually cost more.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I'm really sorry to have offended you. I'm jus really attached to him. How many wild caught turtles survive in captivity?
It is more a question of the entire population of turtles in that area surviving. A female eastern box turtle might lay eggs for 30 to 40 years just to have a single baby grow to adulthood and replace her in the chain. If you take that turtle out of the area, you quite possibly could have taken the only turtle within miles that will actually hatch a baby to take it's place. Eastern box turtles mate by site. That means they will only mate when a male is within seeing distance of an active female. This does not occure very often. You could potentially alter the natural balance as to completly remove the eastern box turtle population from that area by removing a single turtle from it.
There are many rescue animals out there if you look. Or you could save your money until you can afford one. They really are not that expensive and if you can't afford the actual animal, you certainly can not afford the care of it. They are not cheap to keep and they NEED large amounts of room. My Box turtle garden is 53 feet by 24 feet and it is too small.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
It is more a question of the entire population of turtles in that area surviving. A female eastern box turtle might lay eggs for 30 to 40 years just to have a single baby grow to adulthood and replace her in the chain. If you take that turtle out of the area, you quite possibly could have taken the only turtle within miles that will actually hatch a baby to take it's place. Eastern box turtles mate by site. That means they will only mate when a male is within seeing distance of an active female. This does not occure very often. You could potentially alter the natural balance as to completly remove the eastern box turtle population from that area by removing a single turtle from it.
There are many rescue animals out there if you look. Or you could save your money until you can afford one. They really are not that expensive and if you can't afford the actual animal, you certainly can not afford the care of it. They are not cheap to keep and they NEED large amounts of room. My Box turtle garden is 53 feet by 24 feet and it is too small.

Very well said!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Hello everyone. I want to return my turtle back to the wild but I don't have the guts to do it. I am really poor and depressed. If I set my turtle free, I will get really depressed. I want to buy a new one but I don't have enough money. I really need a new box turtle and if anyone has one that that they don't want/need please send it to me. I'm very sad.
How depressed would you be knowing you are the reason the turtle is depressed and could eventually die? How depressed would you be knowing you may be the cause of the turtles in that area disappearing from it for ever? It seems to me that you would get more pleasure from knowing it is free and happy than having it be miserable? Just my thoughts.

Avery Kays

PA
I understand I have offend you all but just so you know, I just set my turtle free back to his original home. I very happy to see him happy.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
We're not "offended." We're just trying to help you understand why we feel wild animals should be in the wild and why a captive turtle is a better option for you.

Avery Kays

PA
Thank you for your input. I have contacted a few places to see if maybe I could adopt a boxie.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
You're going to have a hard time finding adults from breeders. They sell most of the hatchlings, and any they keep are usually breeding stock.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I would release him as soon as possible and then if you really want a box turtle, pursue an adoption of a rehab'd boxie or a captive bred.
We have to remember that these animals that we love so much are on the decline and the wild ones should stay wild.

Elohi(Earth)

Avery Kays

PA
I would release him as soon as possible and then if you really want a box turtle, pursue an adoption of a re had boxie or a captive bred.
We have to remember that these animals that we love so much are on the decline and the wild ones should stay wild.

Elohi(Earth)
Just to reassure you I have set my boxie back into the wild. :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I would release him as soon as possible and then if you really want a box turtle, pursue an adoption of a rehab'd boxie or a captive bred.

Elohi(Earth)

She already released him, Elohi. ;)

Avery Kays

PA
You're going to have a hard time finding adults from breeders. They sell most of the hatchlings, and any they keep are usually breeding stock.
Yes I have seen that. I did find one place called Randy's Turtle rescue where they rescue turtles form the highway. I contacted them and I'm waiting for a reply.