Hello! A little(lot) help needed asap please!

Drummeryjam

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset, UK
Hi guys, i'm Shannon, aka the girl who always ends up with injured/abandoned/unwanted animals! Sooo, 2 days ago I was given a tortoise and i've been going nuts researching everything so thought I would come here instead and get some knowledge from you lovely folk :)
From what i've been told he is a 15 year old European three toed tortoise, however this doesn't seem to make much sense from what i've read so I assume they mean an Eastern three toed turtle.. I'm going to (try) and attatch some photos so if anyone could take a look and confirm this obviously that would be great, he's an amazing character and I really wanna get everything right for him :)
With the previous owner he's been permanently out in the garden apart from hibernation which he spends in the fridge, here in Somerset, UK, with not much special care apart from vitamin supplements. He was with his brother but they kept fighting, hence the chips in his shell which you will see if I mange to do the pics, also i'm pretty sure he's got pyramiding, which I didn't even know existed until google haha. I got given him in a cardboard box with some straw and that is literally it so he's been having outdoor time and then I've been bringing him in to sleep in the box. I'm currently sourcing materials to build an outdoor enclosure, any advice on that is going to be greatly received. I've been feeding him dandelion greens and salad, cucumber and a grape or two as that is what I was told but again without being 100% on species I'm not sure if that's right.
So sorry for all the rambling, and I bet i've still probably missed some details out haha, hope to hear from someone soon and i'm looking forward to being a part of the club! :)
xx

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, he's in ruff shape. He's not a three toe box turtle. I think a Russian tortoise. A Hermanns is a possibility too. He's in such ruff shape that I can't say for sure. My best guess though is a Russian. See what others say. For sure not a box turtle.

Drummeryjam

Somerset, UK
Wow, he's in ruff shape. He's not a three toe box turtle. I think a Russian tortoise. A Hermanns is a possibility too. He's in such ruff shape that I can't say for sure. My best guess though is a Russian. See what others say. For sure not a box turtle.
He is a bit! I was thinking Hermann's myself but i've not had a look at a Russian so i'll do that now :) he definitely does have 3 toes on the back feet though, don't know if this makes a difference at all.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas! And thank you for taking this poor baby in. I have a feeling that you are the kind of petson who once onto something, does not stop till she gets it right. I keep RF and myself was doing frantic research 12 months ago in how to keep them. Now 12 months later I have enough evidence that my work and all the research do pay off. You've come to the best place for reliable advice. Please, Keep us posted.

Drummeryjam

Somerset, UK
Welcome from Texas! And thank you for taking this poor baby in. I have a feeling that you are the kind of petson who once onto something, does not stop till she gets it right. I keep RF and myself was doing frantic research 12 months ago in how to keep them. Now 12 months later I have enough evidence that my work and all the research do pay off. You've come to the best place for reliable advice. Please, Keep us posted.
Aha thankyou, you are correct! I will definitely be updating, I want nothing more than to sort this little guy out and get him into the shape he deserves to be :)

Rue

Canada
I am going to guess Russian/ Horsfield's too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, definitely NOT a Russian. Your choices are only between Greek and Hermanns. I'm notoriously bad at I.D.ing the testudos, but because the plastron is all over black, and not black on the edges with lighter in the center, I'm guessing Greek. We'll have to go to our Testudo guy to get the correct answer - @HermanniChris

Drummeryjam

Somerset, UK
Oh gosh, at least this is making me feel a bit better at not being able to ID him myself! Seems like a tricky task!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh gosh, at least this is making me feel a bit better at not being able to ID him myself! Seems like a tricky task!

Evidently not tricky for Chris. He seems to have no trouble at all. I've studied the pictures 'til the cows came home, and I still can't see the difference between Greek and Hermanns.

surfergirl

Welcome!

does he have a spur on each of his back thigh area? about a 1/2 from the tail? that would make him a Greek, sometime called spur thigh tortoise. He looks more Greek to me with how dark he is. Looks like he could use some TLC but he is eating and that is a great! I like his fat head, so cute. this Forum rocks with some of the best info for keeping tortoises thriving. you have come to the right place

Drummeryjam

Somerset, UK
Haha yes his fat head is adorable! I'm absolutely in love with him already :) I will give him another check over in the morning but i'm trusting your judgement as the experts and from what I can see online he does look Greek, although I really haven't got much of an idea what i'm looking for :/ any advice on the next steps to take would be greatly appreciated :)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Hi guys, i'm Shannon, aka the girl who always ends up with injured/abandoned/unwanted animals! Sooo, 2 days ago I was given a tortoise and i've been going nuts researching everything so thought I would come here instead and get some knowledge from you lovely folk :)
From what i've been told he is a 15 year old European three toed tortoise, however this doesn't seem to make much sense from what i've read so I assume they mean an Eastern three toed turtle.. I'm going to (try) and attatch some photos so if anyone could take a look and confirm this obviously that would be great, he's an amazing character and I really wanna get everything right for him :)
With the previous owner he's been permanently out in the garden apart from hibernation which he spends in the fridge, here in Somerset, UK, with not much special care apart from vitamin supplements. He was with his brother but they kept fighting, hence the chips in his shell which you will see if I mange to do the pics, also i'm pretty sure he's got pyramiding, which I didn't even know existed until google haha. I got given him in a cardboard box with some straw and that is literally it so he's been having outdoor time and then I've been bringing him in to sleep in the box. I'm currently sourcing materials to build an outdoor enclosure, any advice on that is going to be greatly received. I've been feeding him dandelion greens and salad, cucumber and a grape or two as that is what I was told but again without being 100% on species I'm not sure if that's right.
So sorry for all the rambling, and I bet i've still probably missed some details out haha, hope to hear from someone soon and i'm looking forward to being a part of the club! :)
xx

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum ! It is great he is eating away at what you are feeding him. Keep feeding him lots, he looks like he needs it and will appreciate it.

Once people decide exactly what kind of tortoise he is I'm sure good suggestions on what to feed and how to care for him will follow.
Congratulations on your new tortoise !