Hello, please help me!!

Justeis

Hello everyone. I am a 15 year old with a 6 year old African sulcata tortoise. I've had my turtle for four years now. However my dad was the guy who usually tended to all their needs. Sadly, one of my turtles died about a week ago. I have been sooooo, sooo sad. I was pretty close to them, and I was extremely distressed when this happen. Now, I really really want to educate myself on my turtles and I want to be really involved in their lives.
Now I have only one turtle named Rocky. I love him so much and I'm really scared that he's depressed, and is trying to commit suicide. He isn't eating as much and I can see that he's lost weight. He doesn't go near his lettuce and stays in a corner facing away from everything. What should I do? I feel like he is extremely sad about his siblings death and I really need help comforting him. I can't tell whether I'm scaring him or if he enjoys my company. Should I continue to spend time with him every day? Or leave him alone in solitude? I also want to know if there is anything I can do to make him happy-ish. I honestly don't know a lot about turtles, but I'm really trying. Do they like toys? And what type? And do they like landscapes? Should I buy, like rocks and things he could climb? He's just in a regular glass tank with coconut shavings (my dad said that that's what it is. It's like dirt kind of, I guess?). About 30 minutes ago he just started eating some of these tortoise pellets. I think he ate like 10, but he still hasn't touched his butter lettuce, which He usually loves. Please help me, I'm so confused and I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything

Last edited:

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
Can you post a picture of your setup? Did you have more than one sulcata in the same tank,?
Do you know the temperatures and humidity of the enclosure? Do you provide night heat?
I highly doubt your tortoise is depressed or trying to commit suicide.
Those are both pretty complex for a tortoise. Do they get outside at all? At 4 years old a sulcata should be fairly big almost too big to even fit in a 40 gallon tank.
Have you read the care sheet on sulcatas? And the what the feed them sheet?

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Best advise right now is for you to look at Sulcata under Tortoise Species on top page; and read the care/diet/housing of your kind of tortoise. Tortoises do not like change; so give it some time for him to adjust And what and if they feel; is something humans will never know. Most likely you are projecting your feelings on him Humans love to anthropomorphize; give our feelings to other life forms. But if really want to make your tortoise "happy"; provide him with all the needs for a healthy life. A healthy tortoise is an active one; that will explore its world; and interact with the things and people in it. Which in turn will make you happy. Since most think that tortoises prefer solitary life; especially for this species; I don't think its grief its experiencing. And if you follow the care sheet guidelines here; your tortoise will thrive. First off you need to move him into a more appropriate housing. No tank make commercially is big enough for a 6 year old.. Sorry you lost your other tortoise; but it might have been sick; and your other tortoise might have caught something. I would highly recommend a visit to the vet. As well as making sure you provide the appropriate lighting; heat and humidity. This is all covered in the care sheets. Next I would ask questions here on this forum....they are many knowledgeable tortoise owners who will gladly share their experience with you. Sharing pictures of your tortoise; its housing set up will help with their advice. Also; no toys....and be careful with rocks big enough to climb; are big enough to tip over on. A nice flat rock of slate is good to feed on. Easy to clean up and it helps to keep their beak from over growing. First off work on housing and lighting as recommended here. Then humidity and diet. Landscaping for both indoors and outdoor housing can come later. Good luck; and look forward to your progress.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
you asked about spending time with it...some basic behavioral responses; how they react when you are close. Are they actively attempting to move away; or are they pulling tight inside their shell.......both of these indicate they want to be left alone. and often they will eat more when they are left alone with food. If however they come to greet you; even if its food begging; then I would spend some time there with it.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Your tortoise isn't depressed. Some do seem to appreciate human attention, but basically no tortoise appreciates attention from another tortoise. A sulcata is a solitary animal. They really only interact with other tortoises to mate and fight to defend their territory. The loss of your other tortoise is very sad for you, but the remaining tortoise likely appreciates being in an only tortoise household now. Living as pairs frequently results in the death of one of the pairs, I am sorry to say. Your story is not an uncommon one. Territorial animals don't do well when confined together.

As for how your remaining tortoise is fairing, posting photos of your enclosure will help. It sounds like you were keeping two six year old sulcata's in a glass tank? At six years, those tortoises could be easily 50lbs each, so either you you have a very, very large tank or your sulcata have been growing much slower than average. Temperatures too low and dehydration are big reasons for why a tortoise could be smaller than the norm - and also a potential reason for the behaviour you are seeing too. Show us the enclosure and the tortoise, tell us what you have been feeding it, tell us what kind of uvb bulb you use and when you last replaced it, tell us how often your tortoise gets time outside, tell us your high and low temperatures (how warm is your basking spot, how cold is your overnight low?). Read the threads pinned at the top of the sulcata section on how to raise a healthy sulcata.

The best place for a six year old sulcata to be living is outside with a heated night box - outdoors is the most enriching environment for them and then you won't have to worry about toys or landscape.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree

Your tort is not depressed. Torts are solitary creatures and they don't get lonely either.

They do just fine on their own.

The most likely explanation is something is wrong with temperatures, enclosure, diet or all 3.

Please read the following written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too. Your Dad may not be as up to date as he could be on raising young Sulcatas.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Please post photos of the enclosure and lighting (I find it easiest using the app)

We also need to know
- what you feed
- the four important temperatures (directly under the basking lamp, warm side, cool side and overnight minimum)

When your tort is like this, it is essential that you soak it for at least 30 minutes every day in warm water. Use a high sided, flat bottomed bowl that your tort can't see over or through. The water should be deep enough to come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We will be able to help you a lot better once we see pictures of the tortoise. You have been given great advice so far, and I think it you read the stickies posted at the top of the Sulcata section you will gain a better understanding of how to care for your tortoise and interpret his needs.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to the Forum. 2 yrs ago I was complete novice but having been active on this forum has tremendously helped me gain tons of knowledge and build up my confidence. Kudos to you for reaching out for help. Sometimes we just can not do some stuff alone. I am very sorry for your loss of the other tortoise. Hopefully with armed with the knowledge gained on the forum you'll be able to turn things around for your sulcata. I agree with questions above and requests for images of your tort enclosure. Once our sulcata keepers have a better insight into your tort's life and surroundings they will be better able to help you tweak all the stuff that needs to be corrected

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
One more question: are you sure your tortoise is a sulcata???? I don't know how big your tank is to be able to keep a 6 yr old sulcata in it...knowing exact species is important bcs they all require different care conditions/diet. And I'm sorry that your Dad is no longer able to help with your tortoise. You have made a great call reaching out for help