Have you ever had a tort/turtle die of old age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have never had a turtle or tortoise die at or around the maximum end of its expected life span... I am trying to be politically and scientifically correct...

I don't get where the "politically" part is coming from. And as far as being scientifically correct, I believe a scientifically correct answer is in order. When people say "die of old age", what is that supposed to mean? Scientifically, it's completely incorrect. Nothing dies from age. There isn't a magical expiration date. They don't shrivel up like a raisin and turn to dust. They die from a complication of internal systems that results in the inability of the body to carry out functions needed to maintain life….But this whole thing seems to be based off of the fact that "dying of old age" is being equated to "dying from complications of internal systems that were weakened by age". It's not the same thing and it shouldn't be treated as such, except for maybe that it's just easier to say they die from old age?...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Nobody is arguing with your scientific explanation. I got an A+ in anatomy and physiology also thank you. but I think a layman's term of "die of old age" is just fine.we are not at a medical or veterinary conference. As far as politically correct, I would take that as a tongue-in-cheek reply. The OP never thought asking such a simple question would get such a debate in response.

Turtlepete

South Florida
It was a simple question. But the question is asking if anyone had a tortoise or turtle die of old age. Me and Tom attempted to explain that this was not correct (read: "politically"), as nothing dies of just being old. But I guess if we'd rather forsake the answer which is scientifically appropriate for simplicity, then we might as well just use "died of old age" as a legitimate reason for the demise of our shelled buddies. It's shorter to engrave on their tombstones, I'll give ya' that ;).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man, man, man . Shaking head . Its stuff like this right here that runs off new people . If you would like p.m. someone with your arguments . Man I fill like a mod . Some people here believe it or not are not scientists . What ever happen to keep it simple stupid? Not trying to be mean . Why do we have to get all scientific on a simple question, that can be answered with a yes or no?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Man, man, man . Shaking head . Its stuff like this right here that runs off new people . If you would like p.m. someone with your arguments . Man I fill like a mod . Some people here believe it or not are not scientists . What ever happen to keep it simple stupid? Not trying to be mean . Why do we have to get all scientific on a simple question, that can be answered with a yes or no?

This question can't be answered with a yes, because it's not possible. That's all I've been attempting to explain. But I seem to be beating the crap out of a dead horse by trying to do so. I don't mean to frustrate people, but that seems to be what it has turned into. I guess we have to understand there is a vast diversity of the members here and not everybody will favor what they feel is a complicated explanation for what they feel is a simple question.

Happy New Year's everyone ;).

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
See you just have to keep pushing . Man!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm sorry, I didn't want to cause a debate! :(
To clarify, organ failures or not, I just wanted to know if anyone had a tort who simply died because of old age (or contributing factors!)
so you guys are very informative, but I think it's best if we just leave this here :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am not sure, if I had a turtle or a tortoise that died of old age (or causes associated with being at the end of it's body's ability to keep on going). I have had a couple of very old animals that have died, yes. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.