Help! Who/What/How Old is my Tort?

Sylviesoph

Location (City and/or State)
South West England
DSC_0821.JPG DSC_0819.JPG DSC_0820.JPG
Hi everyone!
I have recently been given a tort, and I love him a little bit. I have written an introduction where I received a reply giving some brilliant info.... wondering if anyone could offer any more!

My tortoise is called Horatio (he's already my pride and joy)...
- Originally I was simply told he was 12 months old.

On the intro forum it was suggested that:
- Horatio is a Horsefield Tort.
- Horatio is 6-8 years old

I'm wondering if you agree with or disagree, or could clarify and of the above information. I would be so grateful if you could have a quick look at my pics, does he look healthy? I have placed him next to an English pound coin for size reference. I feel that I need to know the breed, gender and age of Horatio in order to look after him properly and give him/her the best possible life.

As I've said any time you could give to quickly look at the pics and reply if you can tell me anything would be very much appreciated.
Thankyou
Sophie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree it is a Russian and it's probably between 5-8. There is no way of ever knowing the exact age of a tortoise unless you know when it was hatched.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Russian tortoise (horsefeild) he looks around 4.5 inches, so in that age range. He actually LOOKS very healthy, but what is his behavior like? There isn't any pyramiding, he doesn;t have large growth lines (WAY too much food) and his beak looks like it's in great condition. Now, to know if he IS healthy, does he eat? Russains love to eat. Is he active? Russiand love walking around. Make sure to read the general care sheet for russians on their specific forum farther down this site! Stick around, you'll learn a lot :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise looks great. No way to tell the age, but I would guess less than 4 years old at that size for a captive bred one.

We need a pic of the tail to tell the sex, but it may still be immature, in which case we won't be able to tell for sure yet.

Most uf us have no idea how big an english pound coin is. How about a coke can or better yet, weigh him/her and tell us the weight in grams.