Have you ever had a tort/turtle die of old age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Nothing else... just from being old (or contributing factors to being an old tortoise... whatever that would be??) I'd think that that's a rare experience, just wondering if anyone has an account. :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh no! Can a mod please edit the title to say tort/turtle? Thank you! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No animal or person ever dies of "old age". Some organ or system has to fail.

When and if a tortoise dies, how would you know what the reason was for that organ or system to fail? Could have been disease or husbandry related.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have not. I have read a couple threads in the past six months or so of people who have though. they were tortoises that were passed down from their grandparents. I have no idea how old my critters are, but I know that they are definitely not considered "young" but I hope they outlive me anyway.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Nothing else... just from being old (or contributing factors to being an old tortoise... whatever that would be??) I'd think that that's a rare experience, just wondering if anyone has an account. :D

Yeah, Tom is right. Nothing ever dies simply of being old. As things age (or at least, more organisms. Some do not age and could theoretically live for….forever?), organs become weak, the body becomes weak….Aging is the contributing factor to some sort of organ failure that will cause death, but nothing dies simply from age. Heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure, anything like that. All are a result from the aging process, but it's a failure of the organ itself that causes death. That or a disease or virus, since you are of course more susceptible to these things with a weakened immune system.

I imagine in ideal care most tortoises and turtles will live for an absurdly long amount of time.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I don't understand what this "nothing dies of old age" statement has to do with the original question.

Well, the title "Have you ever had a tort/turtle die of old age?" I kind of thought was straightforward. "Nothing else…..just from being old"….Was the question not about things dying from old age? Is "nothing dies from old age" not an answer…?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't understand what this "nothing dies of old age" statement has to do with the original question.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Yellow Turtle wants to know if anyone ever had a tortoise die of old age. We explained that the answer is no, because no living thing can die of old age.

What don't you understand?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I had a res for 29 years, she was an adult when I got her, after 29 years, I went outside to check on them, she was just laying there.
I also had a long term captive russian, 15 years after I got him, went outside to find him lying there, can't say for sure what they did die of, but I guess old age is a good guess.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I had a res for 29 years, she was an adult when I got her, after 29 years, I went outside to check on them, she was just laying there.
I also had a long term captive russian, 15 years after I got him, went outside to find him lying there, can't say for sure what they did die of, but I guess old age is a good guess.

If you were curious and had a necropsy done on either animal, you would've found some sort of organ failure. I guess some people might mean this by "died of old age". Sure, old age was a contribution to weakened organs and immune system, which of course leaves them open for disease and infection and basically leaves them more fragile then a younger animal. But they don't simply die because they were old. Neither do humans.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
No animal or person ever dies of "old age". Some organ or system has to fail.

When and if a tortoise dies, how would you know what the reason was for that organ or system to fail? Could have been disease or husbandry related.
Yeah, Tom is right. Nothing ever dies simply of being old. As things age (or at least, more organisms. Some do not age and could theoretically live for….forever?), organs become weak, the body becomes weak….Aging is the contributing factor to some sort of organ failure that will cause death, but nothing dies simply from age. Heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure, anything like that. All are a result from the aging process, but it's a failure of the organ itself that causes death. That or a disease or virus, since you are of course more susceptible to these things with a weakened immune system.

I imagine in ideal care most tortoises and turtles will live for an absurdly long amount of time.
Well, the title "Have you ever had a tort/turtle die of old age?" I kind of thought was straightforward. "Nothing else…..just from being old"….Was the question not about things dying from old age? Is "nothing dies from old age" not an answer…?
Seems pretty straight forward to me. Yellow Turtle wants to know if anyone ever had a tortoise die of old age. We explained that the answer is no, because no living thing can die of old age.

If you were curious and had a necropsy done on either animal, you would've found some sort of organ failure. I guess some people might mean this by "died of old age". Sure, old age was a contribution to weakened organs and immune system, which of course leaves them open for disease and infection and basically leaves them more fragile then a younger animal. But they don't simply die because they were old. Neither do humans.
cage-you-dont-say.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
But the OP also said " Or contributing factors of being an old tortoise" The contributing factors are what you mean by not dying of "old age" contributing factors is what everything dies of, not age. I understand that and I think the original poster does too.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

I understand what you're saying, I am not arguing with your logic, I even agree with that on a scientific level but this question is not a scientific question. But you're also talking in circles. you say that age is a contributing factor to organ failure and the tortoise dies of organ failure not old age. But the age affect of the organs in the first place.I understand that totally but I just think it is and overly technical response to a very simple question.

Status
Not open for further replies.