Got my Russian tortoise lights

Got Thor these today! I also have another dome and a 50W day white light from zilla.... Do I need both lights or are these okay?

1483572770797.jpg 1483572795038.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your going to have to test thrn and read the temps to see if one will do it or not. Only you can know that.

Your going to have to test thrn and read the temps to see if one will do it or not. Only you can know that.
Yeah, I feel like the I need to return it and get the 75W or the 100W because when I put the temperature monitor under the light it says 130 degrees.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The dome you can get cheaper at Home Depot and some walmarts, get two of the large domes. I would return the one you have. Go with one bulb, 100watt UVB and get a che(ceramic heat emitter)

The dome you can get cheaper at Home Depot and some walmarts, get two of the large domes. I would return the one you have. Go with one bulb, 100watt UVB and get a che(ceramic heat emitter)
One of the people on here said I don't need a CHE but I do have a black night heat bulb that I put on when it's SUPER cold at night in my room, why do I need to return the dome I actually got a pretty good deal on it ($12.00) , I have a 50W UVB bulb will that work?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
@Yvonne said no CHE was needed for night heat unless the house got really really cold

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
One of the people on here said I don't need a CHE but I do have a black night heat bulb that I put on when it's SUPER cold at night in my room, why do I need to return the dome I actually got a pretty good deal on it ($12.00) , I have a 50W UVB bulb will that work?

That's a great deal for that dome. The ones I got at Home Depot are the same size and cost a few bucks more.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

I just don't want Ashley to be confused on what she needs

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1483584236.007984.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually the domes like you got cost more. That's the only reason I said to return. That is a good price. I don't like any kind of bulbs at night. Not black, blue red, etc. The Che's last a lot longer, and gives only heat not light. I think it's always nice to have on hand for those times added heat is needed. They last forever too. If your okay with that bulb, that's your choice. I have no idea if you need added heat or not. No temps have been given. Many complain in winter that their tort doesn't eat only hides, etc. a little more heat at night then the average 65-68 temps most houses get at night will help prevent this. Also more bright light during the day. My reason for having a Che. Like I said though. I have no idea what your temps are. More accurate help can be given if we know that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Got Thor these today! I also have another dome and a 50W day white light from zilla.... Do I need both lights or are these okay?
Just checking that you have noted that you need a separate UVB bulb with that bulb?

It says so on the box! You will need a tube UVB as well as this in the daytime.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Should be no confusion. Didn't suggest anything that's not needed or good to have on hand.
I'm not disagreeing, I think it's good to have one hand and then a thermostat is needed too. She was just questioning if she needed one since one member said no.

Usually the domes like you got cost more. That's the only reason I said to return. That is a good price. I don't like any kind of bulbs at night. Not black, blue red, etc. The Che's last a lot longer, and gives only heat not light. I think it's always nice to have on hand for those times added heat is needed. They last forever too. If your okay with that bulb, that's your choice. I have no idea if you need added heat or not. No temps have been given. Many complain in winter that their tort doesn't eat only hides, etc. a little more heat at night then the average 65-68 temps most houses get at night will help prevent this. Also more bright light during the day. My reason for having a Che. Like I said though. I have no idea what your temps are. More accurate help can be given if we know that.
Okay, thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are no 50 watt UVB bulbs, so what is it that you have there?

The 150 watt reptile bulb is not a good idea. It is a "spot" bulb. Those concentrate too much heat into too small of an area. You want a "flood" type bulb, as those spread the heat out more evenly over a greater area. I use 65 watt bulbs for basking heat, but the wattage doesn't matter. You adjust the height of any bulb and fixture to get the correct basking temperature under it. Or you can buy a fixture that has a built in rheostat and you can contour the temperature under the bulb that way. Besides all of that, the bulbs like this that are marketed for reptiles are just regal incandescent bulbs that you can buy for a third of the money at the pet store. With the exception of the mercury vapor bulbs, there is nothing special about these reptile bulbs except the reptile packaging and the higher price tag.

How cold does it get on the "cold" nights in your house? This is what would determine if you need night heat over a russian. If its above 55-60, then you really don't need night heat.

All of this is explained here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Have you read these?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not disagreeing, I think it's good to have one hand and then a thermostat is needed too. She was just questioning if she needed one since one member said no.

It's a russian tortoise, full grown. They can be kept room temperature at night unless the house gets very, very cold during the night.