1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Foamy mouth

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by Germanola, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Germanola

Germanola New Member

Hi
    My name is carol and I am new to the Forum. 5 month ago I visit a pet store for cat food and saw a horsfiels tortoise for sale. I used to have tortoise in germany and was so happy to be able to share my life again with these amazing animals. I took Elmo home and he seemed fine until yesterday. After his breakfast coolard greens and soaked food pellets, he ,all the sutton started to have a foamy mouth and he opend is mouth once in a while like he would yarn. It only happend once (the foaming) but he does not seem to be ok. He ate a little this morning and it looked like that he is hurting when he swallows . He is very dehydrated, even I bath im every two days.
  2. Taylor T.

Taylor T. Active Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Welcome to the forum!

Foaming mouth usually means that they have overheated. Cool his enclosure down, and give him a slightly cooler than usual soak. What are the temperatures in is enclosure?

If you think that he is dehydrated, give him daily soaks for a while just to get him hydrated again.
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Hello and welcome.

Like Taylor said, heat is usually the culprit, but its possible that there was a bee or spreader in the greens, or possibly a spot of some sort of chemical pollutant.

If your temps are okay, then daily soaks for a while should help rinse away any lingering residue, and then pass any problems.
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  4. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.
    What are the "soaked food pellets"? Just curious, I don't know anything about that species of tortoise.
  5. Gillian Moore

Gillian Moore Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Please make sure that temperature is not too high.

Any photos of your tort and his enclosure?